Wet Mowing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sammy, May 27, 2001.

1. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

What mower does the best when you have to mow under wet conditions ?
  2. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I cannot tell you which mower operates best under wet conditions. I can offer you mt experience this past week in 4 consecutive rain days with a eXmark Metro. It is a belt drive, and for the first time in the year or so I have had it, I wish it was a hydro.

The deck belts operated great. The drive belt slipped whenever I went in a low spot with pooled water. This water wasnt like a puddle, just sponge like soil. The water stayed on the drive belt thus making the cornering and going up hills nearly impossible.

This was the wettest week I have encountered since starting a lawn service. It is the first time my mower has failed me. My guess is you will want a hydro drive mower if you are encountering wet conditions often.
  3. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: i have a 42" walker which happens to be outstanding in wet conditions, my walk behind and ztr they cut but its not always the best neat job.
  4. General Grounds

:blob3: i agree w/ toroguy, nothin beats a hydro drive mower even my 36" are hydros, once you go hydro you'll never go belt.
  5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

most anot all mowers will cut good in the rain or in wet conditions given sharp blades....i think more of it is in the skill and experience of the operator
  7. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

We have a great dane which does pretty well in wet conditions. It definetely isnt comparable to dry but good is better than nothing, we always have to take the bp blower and hit some small clumpy spots.:angry:
  8. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

With all the rain we have had this week there are alot of spots that I cant use my z-turn out front mower. I have used the trimmer to cut a lot of grass in low areas that are holding water. I dont like leaveing muddy tracks with the z.
  9. General Grounds

:blob3: i hear ya Sammy, 2 weeks ago you would have never thought we would be *****in about all the rain, amazing. Whats even more amazing is the phone calls from people asking if everything is okay b/c we have'nt cut their lawns yet, i quess some live in their closets. T
  10. Grassman

Grassman LawnSite Member

I'd give my left nu* to have those problems again. Nothing to mow but dirt down here. Russ