1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

wet saw

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by kris, Nov 19, 2001.

1. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

This is about a 1.5 months old ... finally had a chance to get a pic of it for here.

Has a 5.5 honda
    We were forever blowing fuses and carting around a generator to power our other saw..so far..this is working well..anyone have any experiences with a saw like this?
  2. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

3. kris

from nowhere

Very nice Paul . How much is that model?
  4. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

I've got a clipper that has a water pump, but for reasons mentioned in some of those old saw thread we run them dry (too much work supplying water, too messy, leaves silt buried deep in pores of brick).

Mine is a model slightly different from yours, but essentially the same: 5.5 Honda, 14" blade.

You want to really save time? Get yourself a Partner K650 12" and use that for all your perimeter cuts. Use the tub saw only for funky cuts you can't do with the Partner.

We also have a Target, same specs as Clipper. Both have run well.

Just changed the belts on the Clipper a few days ago.

Also have a TS400 Stihl 14", and a Partner K950 (16") and K650 (12").

One of my guys may have destroyed the 12". Did something that poked a hole in the plastic top, so unfiltered air could get past the first filter. Seems to run just a bit rough.

Just finished completely taking apart every single saw and cleaning. I'm finding as time goes on and my stable of toys gets more full, getting everything ready for winter becomes a really big job!

Oh, one more thing - that Clipper really weighs a ton compared to the Target. We ended up buying a saw cart from Probst so it didn't take 3 men to set it up (my model has 4 individual legs).
  5. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Kris that model runs $2200 now with out the blade.
  6. kris

from nowhere

Yes Stonehenge we use the same (partner) and also a Sthil for perimeter cuts ... also have a target tub saw but is a plug in jobey.

I hear ya about the cleaning ...as you might have noticed in the pic...the shop is a right off .... we had a real break in weather here and are still doing installs. Still have to get to the mess outside before inside work starts!
  7. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

I sure would love one of those!

I'm still just running a 10" electric target. I really just can't justify the purchase of a bigger one yet. Been getting better with the cut off saw every job and just about can do a lot of the work without even pulling the wet saw out.

Would of loved a 14" blade today though! Am doing another entrance stoop and venerring it with pavers. Had to cut the pavers in 1/3 to adhere around the perimiter. With the 10", you can only cut so deep, so had to make two cuts on all of them. What a pain.

By the way, has anyone seen the new MK electric brick/chop saw. looks alot like a regular miter saw, but has that new 14" 'extreme' blade on it. People are telling me it works good. I'm thinking for the limited amount of time I need a big blade, it may be a economic solution at only $800. May be nice to cut things like cap and smaller wall stone with.

8. Andrew Hardscape

Andrew Hardscape LawnSite Member

EDCO'S GMS 14 is a huge, heavy saw. We have one and it stays in the shop 99% of the time. I can tell you firsthand that Edco does not sell too many of them either.

The GMS 10 is perfect for heavy paver installation. It will also cut caps for retaining walls. My guys love the GMS 10 because it is easy to cart around the job sites. You can connect a wet/dry vac, which is nice for cutting in the winter (no frozen fingers!). They also have a vacuum system that will run off the gas engine, but they hardly sell them because they make the machine too bulky and heavy.

This Spring be watching the for the new EDCO sales literature and videos, to see a handsome, REAL PRO in action!! MD's Finest
  9. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Most of our cuts are done with a hand saw(Partner 650) we use the GMS 14 for finish work and cutting paver for glue jobs, it has the guts to do it fast and to cut a 6" thick paver in one pass at times I wish we had a GMS 20. :)
    A cart is the only way to go no set up time and at a good height for the guys to use. Of course if you have to load it on a truck every day it would be a pain but we use trailers and they make it easier.
  10. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Hmmmm...That 10" might work nice for some paver projects.

And Paul, you hit the nail on the head loading a saw on a cart. Very topheavy, too. Put a dent in my pickup this year, taking it to jobsite, thought we did a decent job strapping it down, made a tight turn and WHOOPS! Saw was fine, so I wasn't too upset.