1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Wet Weather Adhesives

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mbella, Dec 11, 2004.

1. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm curious what adhesives you guys have found work best when working in wet or damp conditions.
    I tried SRW this past season and it was a nightmare. They advertise that it can be used in wet or frozen conditions. I was gluing Coventry bullnose to Versa-Lok weathered. I laid out the bullnose and glued them, all 93 of them. I went back the next day, not one grabbed. I called a friend and he recommended Gorilla Glue. I tried it and it worked beautifully. I've been using it ever since, rain or shine.
  2. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

We've been using SRW Retaining Wall & Paver adhesive on our current project. Like a lot of adhesives of it's type, it takes a while to cure. So far, we haven't had any problems with it, save a few:

-Ed happened to lean on part of a wall or column (don't remember which) and it moved on him, but it had just been glued less than an hour before. Easy enough to fix; just slid the blocks back into place.
    -Had to take apart part of a wall that had been glued. Was not an easy task; Jack (the "retired" guy that's helping us) had used a liberal amount on that section and had cured by that point.... Fortunately it wasn't a very big section.

I believe the tube says it takes at least 24 hours to cure, longer in colder weather (I believe it says up to 72 hours???). It seems to be good stuff, it has a long open time from what I've seen. I do try to make sure the block is clean before I put down a bead. I don't know how necessary it is, but I'm sure it doesn't hurt anything.

We've used Keystone's Capseal before with good results. I know others have used PL 4000 too. Anything in a caulking tube has a fairly long cure time.....

3. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

I've had a few dirty blocks that I tried to glue and believe me, it dosen't work near as well.

Where can you fine Gorilla Glue and is it available in QTS?
  4. D Felix

Gorrila Glue is available about anywhere. It's a poly-something-or-other glue (can't remember what right off hand, but I should...), and it actually *needs* moisture to cure. It foams as it cures which helps it to make contact with the surfaces. The problem is that if you use too much, it's not easy to clean off.

Any hardware store or lumber yard should have it. I think the biggest bottle I've seen is around an 18 ouncer, and it's ~$20-25, IIRC. But a little bit goes a LONG way. Once open, it's only got a shelf life of a couple of months.

Here's a link. I've seen it cheaper, but this was the first place that I knew had it online...http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=32502
    Oh, the "won't bond skin" is complete BS!

I'm still not sure I'd use it on block though....

5. mbella

I usually buy it at Home Depot. The "won't bond skin is BS". When the block is dry I carry a bucket with water and a small broom so I can strike the block and dampen it. It does tend to run a little more than other adhesives, but I haven't found it very difficult to clean off (utility knife and sandpaper). Dan, why wouldn't you usit on block?
  6. mbella

7. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

We stopped using SRW adhesive a couple years ago because we had nothing but problems with it. It never seemed to create a good bond for an extended period of time. In one instance we had built a step out of Celtic Block with a landing on top of it that enterred into a ski resort lodge. The stair saw no traffic for the first month or so after it was installed and then winter came. Slowly throughout the winter treads kept coming off. It seemed as though there was never a good bond between the two blocks. The adhesive almost seemed like a hard plastic with no adhesion to it at all.

We then tried a product called Eucolastic that we have tested against SRW and its a great product. We glued two blocks together w/ SRW and two w/ Eucolastic. After a couple days we could easily pry the SRW blocks apart but the ones with Eucolastic were near impossible so thats what we use for everything now. I suppose alot might have to do with whether or not what you're glueing gets any traffic or not.

Good luck
  8. D Felix

Has anyone else had any problems with SRW? We've used almost 2 cases of it so far on our current project, so I hope not.:)

I don't know if there's a specific reason why I wouldn't use gorilla glue; it is labeled for concrete. However, there are other products out there that are sold specifically for the purpose of gluing block- I'd think those would hold up better in the long run....

9. mbella

Dan, my friend that recommended the Gorilla glue had problems with SRW as well. I use the Gorilla glue because I've seen results. Obviously, if there is a specific reason that you or anyone else believes that it won't hold over time, I'd be interested.
  10. jreiff

jreiff LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Ever try using Liquid Nails, we use that alot. Holds up really well for us. Do not lay down as well on a wet block or cap, but other wise is really good. Us for capping walls, stair treads, and so on... We get it from Home Depot. Has the blue label on it. Can't remember the type, but the brand is Liquid Nails. Anyone ever used it???