1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Wet yard

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tsh1773, Mar 18, 2008.

1. tsh1773

tsh1773 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a new customer whose yard is constantly wet, even though we've been in a drought. I now have to use a push mower because all other mowers are too heavy and leave ruts. She does have an irrigation system and we have checked for leaks. The water meter never moves unless she has inside water on. I thought maybe it could be a spring but not over the entire yard. Is there something I can spread that would make the yard more firm and dryer? Any suggestions?
  2. davink

davink LawnSite Member
    from CT

Does her property back up to wet lands? Or more likely, does she has sewer or septic? Most likely a failed septic system.
  3. tsh1773

There is a very small creek behind her house but that shouldnt affect the front yard too.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Unless it's a landscaping / drainage issue, if that's the case the best thing I can think of are french drains but I've never done one...
    They work good thou, just someone kind of has to know a little something about them, I don't know what all is involved other than digging out a small ditch and fill it with some rocks and gravel and cover with dirt but like I said I've never done it.
  5. davink

davink LawnSite Member
    from CT

Installing a french drain will only help the situation if the graound is graded appropriatly, and if the soil content is correct, and slopped enough that the drain has a place to end at. Water has to go somewhere.

If installing a proper french drain, it takes more that a shovel, you need machines for that.
  6. tsh1773

The entire yard is flat, except that the front has a mild slope down toward the house.

Attached Files:

• Yard.bmp
      File size:
      749.4 KB
  7. wheels910

wheels910 LawnSite Member

on a sidebar, where did you get the aerial view of the property at? looks too close for google earth to me
  8. tsh1773

My county has a site www.greenvillecounty.org that I use quite often for measurements, etc. It's for real property searches also.
  9. davink

davink LawnSite Member
    from CT

Am I correct that the blue line on the back side of the property is a creek? Also do you know if they are on sepic or sewer? Does the wetenss of the yard seem to be in one generalized area? Do you know if they have a sump pump in the basement, if so does it move much water? If so, where does it discharge? Is there any oder in the wet areas?

Look I can go on with the questions and keep giving you ideas about this... I work for many years as a septic / drainage / sewer installer - the fact is that there are many many things that could be causing this. Water is the most fikle thing, it will get anywhere. I can keep giving suggestions of things to look at if ya want - just try to start by answering the above.. Also, have you pulled plans from the health Dept or town Hall as to where there are water lines in her yard? Is it well or city water?
  10. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

What does the slope look like on the other side of the road. It could be that the water is coming under the road and up into her property. Or it could be a leak in the municipal water main.