wetlands plugs

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by AintNoFun, May 8, 2008.

1. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

just curious how some of you guys that do wetlands work plant 2" plugs.. weve been using gas powered drills with 3" bits, but im always wondering what others use??

2. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

The drill /bulb auger works best for us. I've used hand bulb planters too, but it doesn't work as well.

3. AintNoFun

gotcha,

i got over 40k plugs to install just raking my brain and hoping to rack some others and faster ways...

4. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm having a hard time trying to imagine what could be faster than a trowel in one hand and the other free hand to handle the plants. Jab, stick, pinch,.. jab, stick, pinch,..... You cover the ground once and don't have to get up or drag a lot of stuff around with you.

It won't work in Las Vegas with that caliche or whatever it is called, but most soils don't need much to stick in a 2" plug.

Is the soil in the area too tough to trowel?

5. AintNoFun

its gonna be fresh screened topsoil, weve use like the hand bulb planting tools but the drills always seemed faster, but carrying the drill around all day does wear you down faster so its kind of a trade off...

6. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Its all about speed and effort. There is not a lot of effort in popping a hole with a trowel into fresh screened topsoil. It is essentially one motion - jab and pull open the hole. You never let go of the trowel, the other hand is free to place the plant and pinch it in, you can do several without moving anything besides your arms, you don't have to carry anything besides a trowel and the plants, you don't have to go back to put the plants in the hole or to bury them.

In other words, you only go over the ground once, you are working fast, and you are travelling light.

7. AintNoFun

well give it a shot, i just ordered a bunch of dibbles,trowels, etc off the internet.. thanks guys...