whadda you guys think???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by snakasnee, Dec 27, 2005.

1. snakasnee

snakasnee LawnSite Member

hi,

im a new member, and just getting into the industry. i am starting a lawn care co this spring and dont have any equipment yet. i have met with a couple of local dealers here in nashville and feel really good about the exmark dealer. he currently has a used viking 36" wb for sale. do you think this will be enough mower for the larger than normal lots here in nashville? my gut tells me that the 48" is the way to go, but i wanted some input from the pros.

thanks.

ps will a 48" fit in the back of a dodge ram 1500 6.5' bed?

2. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Welcome, 48in is a great size, and also why dont you measure the width of the bed.

3. snakasnee

the bed is 49" from well to well. will the deflector go up? i bet that would get old fast.

4. Signature Landscaping1

from Mass

the deflector does go up, or have you considered buy a small trailer, it will be easier to load and unload.

5. snakasnee

yeah, i have been going back and forth on the trailer issue as well. i would like to keep it as simple (cheap) as possible to start and then add on later. whats the smallest trailer that i should consider, and what would it cost new or used? thanks.

6. Coreyb

Coreyb LawnSite Member

you can go to ebay and pick up a single axle ramp gate trailer for $500 or so. go with the 48" - it will save you alot of time. also, the trailer will allow you to do mulch jobs easier.

7. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

If you really want to keep it cheap----Keep it out of your truck. I can think of no better way to lose money fast than wasting a ton of time setting ramps, driving a 48" mower up and into a bed that is 36" off the ground, parking it in between something 49" wide, and putting the ramps in the truck. Get a trailer!!
    You will also have to buy new ramps each job because they will keep falling out of your truck.
    You truck bed is just over 6 foot and the ramps will need to be almost 14 to counter the ramp break-over angle, because the truck is so high.
    If your lots are bigger I would go with the 48" mower (or at least a 44") and put it on a trailer.

8. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

i tried the truck bed, scary as he!!. its not safe.. and takes too long...if off my trailor in less then 30 seconds, and back on again just as fast...

9. Signature Landscaping1

from Mass

I got a 4x8 Snowbear trailer with ramp for 400 at home depot. is a nice little trailer, easy to load and unload my equip, my 48''w/b fits perfectly on it.