What’s the best method for counting chinch bugs?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Cheryl, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Cheryl

Cheryl LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Other than filling the can with water trick. Does anybody have a good method for counting these little pests? Maybe a stick with some sticky lure? I want to judge the effectiveness of my treatments, and find the can thing a little barbaric.

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Hello members Cheryl has ask a question should I answer it?? Naa

Southern Chinch Bug SCB ( Blissus insularis Barber ) Not to be confused with ( Hemiptera Geocoridae uliginosus ) Big Eye Bug.

SCB is one of the worst pests on St Augustine grass. It will attack Bahia, Bermuda, Centipede, and Zoysia. They also attack grassy weeds like Topero Pangola and crab Grass. But is mainly a St Augustine pest.

SCB can have a 5 week life cycle from egg to adult. They lay 100 to 300 eggs in the leaf sheath and are born with fully developed bodies. This is called Gradual Metamorphosis as opposed to Complete Metamorphosis like a Caterpillar to a Butterfly. They have Chewing sucking mouth parts. First they chew and inject a enzyme which liquefy the grass Carbohydrates and then it sucks. It is the enzyme that kills the turf not the sucking of the Carbohydrates. There mouth part are such that they can not chew well hydrated grass blades. They can however tear into Dry grass blades and this is Important to Know. Look for SCB in dry grass. Heavy rain like we have had this year with control them by drowning them.

In South Florida There are 7 generations of Chinch Bugs per year and egg hatch starts in February. SCB have 5 instar or molting from birth to adult. Young chinch bugs are Red and as they develop they become black. Adults are general about 1/5 inches long.

When you come upon SCB in a customers and treat them the damage they have caused will not show up right away. After they are dead the grass will continue to decline before it recoups. Be sure to tell your customer this to prevent call backs.

Cheryl you ask what is the time and have told you where the watch was made. Sorry I don't know what time it is. Sure the books tell you 20 to 30 SCB per foot are not acceptable. However Why would you what to count SCB?? learn to look for the signs of damage and where to look. You will quickly be able to see this from your truck at 30 MGH. Sorry it is too hard to explain the signs and much easier to learn from seeing it. After treatment when you go back to check it. Just look in the area outside the damage. Spread the grass like parting your hair and watch for them. Do this in several places. If your treatment was good you will not see any but if you see only one or two adults then it is OK. October in the start of the dry season so watch for them.

3. sniggly

sniggly LawnSite Member

I wish I could see you two have a conversation in person (snicker :).......

Ric......how would you compare the damage a sod web worm does to the damage SCB's do....visually I mean?

....(still chuckling...)

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Sniggly you must love war movies and WWF Wrestling

Sod Web Worms are chewing insects. SCB are sucking insects. Therefore by looking at the leaf damage you can tell the difference. SWW will eat the leave and you can see the chew marks. With SCB the leaves will turn yellow on one side of the stem.

Below is a link to the Ifas website Lawn Handbook home page. The Florida Lawn Handbook by the University of Florida is considered the bible of lawn care in the State of Florida. This book is the main study material for the Pesticide Lawn and Ornamental Certification test. You can order a copy from U of F bookstore for $19.95 or from amazon for $ 14.95. You may also find this book in Florida Home Cheapos, or depots.

Florida Lawn Handbook on line

BTW Edison College in Ft Myers is offering a Degree program in Lawn and Landscape. Night Classes

5. Cheryl

Cheryl LawnSite Member
    from Florida

sniggly,

Whether Ric knows the answer or not (in this case not) he will take any opportunity to stick his little ant head into a post just so he can rip you a new one. He loves it. Plus, he probably gets off on seeing his post number get larger.

6. sniggly

sniggly LawnSite Member

.......the quips that come to mind....There's no way I could post any of it here.

War Movies.....YES!
    WWF................nope..................

This is WAY better than a 6 pack and the spanish channel!!!!

:)

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Cheryl

You got me right. I just love to give misinformation to the new bees. I stick my Little Ant Head into every post I can because it drives my post count up. I have ripped you so many new ones your name should be Swiss Cheese.

BTW The above posts have some misinformation in it. Sure I did it on purposes just to see if I would get caught. It is Part of the thrill Cheryl.

8. sniggly

sniggly LawnSite Member

I can't believe I am the only one watching this thread.......

Cheryl.......I'll wear a cheerleaders skirt and shake pom pom's for you if you'll take another swing!!!!!

Sincerely,
    The Antagonist

BTW Cheryl where in Florida are you?

9. Cheryl

Cheryl LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Sniggly, I'm in the Vero/Sebastian area.

Ric, what did you do in law enforcement for 21 years? Were you the guy that draws the chalk outlines?

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Cheryl

Dept of Corrections. Therefore you are not the first person I have walked the last mile. Attitude is what gets them into prison and attitude is what keeps them coming back to prison. I have had a lot of practice dealing with attitude. Maybe that explains my Attitude. I have been swung at and missed and **** at and hit, more times than I care to remember.

Sniggly

That Skirt and pom poms would go great in prison. Just be sure to hold on to the soap. Si esto es mejor que la television espanola