1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What 2 cycle ratio to use...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LCME, Apr 19, 2005.

1. LCME

LCME LawnSite Senior Member

my redmax 7001 manual instructs me to use 50:1 mix. but, the opti-2 reads a different ratio like i think it was 100:1. which is the correct ratio?. follow the manual or the oil's instructions?
  2. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

go buy some quality oil. That opti 2 stuff is for sale at walmart.
  3. LCME

LCME LawnSite Senior Member

if you can't read the question correctly, do not answer.
  4. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

Follow the manual, and normally use the branded oil in your machine for best results.
  5. lawnmedic1

lawnmedic1 LawnSite Member

we have several brands of 2 stroke engines that call from 16-1 all the way to 100-1 mixes. We use Stihl mix which is 50-1 in all units, and have had no failures. Some of this equipment is very old, and most of it used very hard....
  6. beransfixitinc

:rolleyes: No further comment from me on this issue. People do what they want anyway.
  7. bill w

bill w LawnSite Member
    from Va.

Well, you believe in the oil enough to buy it...why don't you believe in the oil enough to use the oil makers suggested ratio? I do hope I read your question correctly.
    Is the unit still under warranty?

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

weed eaters chainsaws blowers all ope we mix 2.5 gallons of fuel with the 6.4 oz bottle never any problems.
  9. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

I have used Opti 2 since 1983 when Echo was private labeling it and always mixed it @ 100:1 with Amoco gasoline. I have been an equipment dealer since 1985 and have sold a lot of Optimol products in the past 20 years and feel qualified to comment on mix oil. One of our local schools uses Opti 2 in all the 2 cycle equipment used on the main campus and 2 other locations. They have used Opti 2 exclusive since 1995 and have many pieces of Shindaiwa and Echo equipment that have been in service since 1995. After Hurricane Ivan hit us last September the college bought several Stihl & Shindaiwa saws and have operated all these saws (Shindaiwa 488 & 757, Stihl 260 & 660) on Opti 2.

After using and selling Opti 2 for 22 years I have not seen any equipment damaged by this product. Once, one of my maintenance crews accidentally mixed 10 gallons of fuel @ around 200:1 and used it in 8 pieces of equipment for 2 days without any damage. I happened to stop by a job site and noticed that the equipment wouldn't idle very well and was running very hot. We took the equipment back to our shop, drained and replaced the fuel and continued to use all the equipment which suffered no damage.

There is nothing to debate about which oil is best because all name brand oils are best for their recommended application. Almost all current and past generations of modern 2 stroke equipment will digest 50:1 oil with no problems. The only exceptions for engines produced in the last several years are the Tecumseh products labeled 32:1. These engines absolutely will not run on 50:1. I haven't bought another 32:1 Tecumseh engine since I personally ruined one of our Husky hover mower demos with 50:1. One of my mechanics told me it wouldn't work and I proved he knew what he was talking about. This mechanic keeps a couple of cans of Lawn Boy oil in his tool box just for these engines

Each manufacturer has a particular additive package blended into their branded oil but the operating parameters of 2 cycle engines are so close that any branded oil 50:1 will perform well when mixed according to directions. We use 89 octane Amoco (BP) gasoline and 50:1 Shindaiwa oil in every piece of equipment we service in our shop and every 4 stroke and 2 stroke unit we sell.

Everyone should use the mix oil that works for them and always follow the recommendations of the oil manufacturer.

10. beransfixitinc

Hey oldtimer, that college must have had a heck of a need.. the 757s ain't bought with the change jingling around in your pocket.

Also, which Shindaiwa 2 cycle do yall use? ShindaiwaONE, or the regular Shindaiwa Premium 2 cycle oil?

I don't even see a price for the regular one in the price book.