What 21er to buy.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sildoc, Aug 8, 2003.

1. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I have been looking at several 21ers and wanted to know if any one has had any problems with the honda 216 hydrostatic 5.5 honda engine, or the snapper 5.5 comercial model. Interested in the exmark metro 21 but no dealers close and someone said they were a toro anyways. I know someone is going to say do a search but all I want to know is if any one has had major problems with the machines.

2. mottster

mottster LawnSite Member

We use the commerical snappers at work. Nice mowers. Drive handle is really freaking annoying...A mower with a blade brake clutch is more functionaly when you're bagging or having to stop to pick up toys or whatever.

I run a John Deere JX75 myself and love it...best push mower i've ever run.

3. C & S

C & S LawnSite Member

I have the "commercial" Toro. I LOVE it. Very dependable. The thing is built like a tank. Mulches very well. Very dependable motor. I can't say enough good things about it.

4. ULTIMATE LAWN

ULTIMATE LAWN Banned
    from AL

Overall I prefer Lawnboy Push 6.5hp Duraforce but in a SP the Toro 5.5hp Suzuki's are Sweet.

new toro.jpg

5. twippingbillie

twippingbillie LawnSite Member

I have a 93 Yardman with a 5hp BS Industrial/Commercial engine. It mulches bags and side discharges. I'm not sure that its commercial grade but the only thing I've had to replace is a 3 dollar pulley and a 10 dollar cable. My favorite feature is that the height adjustment is just one lever.

6. GeorgiaGrassMan

GeorgiaGrassMan LawnSite Member

You said that like its a bad thing that the Exmark is a Toro. There are lots of good 21"s out there and I certainly haven't tried them all, but I don't see how any of them could be any better than a Toro Proline with the Suzuki 2 cycle motor. LOVE mine. Don't confuse a Proline with any Toro that you might see at Home Depot because they are two entirely different animals.

7. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Honda ALL-THE-WAY:D Durability and an Xeon deck-NO RUST, EVER!!!

mowing church with honda.jpg

8. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

the one you posted looks like the Steel or Cast deck not Xenoy.

I would also suggest the Honda Comm. mower ( not the Xenoy)

If you are deciding between the Snapper and Honda, you will have less problems with the Honda. And it has a blade brake.

9. maple city

maple city LawnSite Senior Member

We run the Commercial Honda (not the hydrostatic). I love this mower. Well worth the money. When (and if) it ever dies, I'll buy another Honda. The bagging system is the easiest I have ever used, and the quality of the cut is great. In 3 years, not a single problem, and starts on the 1st pull. The Exmark vs. Honda 21" was discussed on another forum not too long ago. One very interesting thing I noticed about the 21" Exmark is that our local Exmark dealer does not carry them at all, but does carry the 21" Honda. Kinda odd, I thought. I never knew that Exmark made a 21" becuase I have never ran into one.

10. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

lawnboy with aluminum deck, light strong, can be welded IF EVER needed.