What 32" to buy

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ALBsun1, May 9, 2004.

1. ALBsun1

ALBsun1 LawnSite Member

Hello, I need some help on what 32" walk behind to buy. I need a 32 to fit into some back yards that my 36" lesco hydro cannot. I am happy with my current lesco mower, it is great, but i am considering maybe an exmark or a scag instead of another lesco. Haven't ever used any other mower besides lesco, so i was hoping to get some feed back from anyone who has used both. Any info is helpful. Thanks!

2. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

I am newbie and bought an eXmark Metro gear 32" pistol grip, 12.5 Kawasaki, with mulch kit. Starts first pull, customers really like the cut and I am well satisfied with it. It is a job to change cut height from one drive wheel range to the next range, but usually I can get the required height by changing spacers on the casters (keep operator manual in truck, or a copy of the height chart, or else memorize big chart). Most customers have bermuda which I usually mow in "B" range at 2-1/8 inches (2.12) and customers are very pleased. The front rake is just about perfect. When I get a St. Augustine will have to adjust to the highest range. Some people insist on a scalping and I have to go to the low range. I keep a bottle jack and wrenches in truck and am getting faster at it. It is easy to round off a nut in the low range because it is very tight wrench work, so keep some spare 3/8-16 grade 5 or grade 8 nuts in the truck. At first sign of wear on the hex I replace the nut. If I round off a nut in the field have to come back to the shop and use an impact wrench on the bolt head under the engine deck. The dealer knocked the price down from $2399 to $1999 to get me started and I buy everything from that dealer now. Well, bought a brush cutter kit from Lowes for an old Cub cc3000 trimmer, but only because my dealer doesn't handle Cub. Didn't want to be changing my Stihl back and forth from a trimmer to a brushcutter, and can't afford the 2nd Stihl just yet. Have had no other mower to compare my eXmark to, but can only tell you I am very satisfied with it for the money. And it goes easily thru every gate so far.

3. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

I should have specified spare 3/8 serrated flange nuts ALBsun 1. Needs to be vibration resistant. eMark specifies 35 lbs torque, but can't get a torque wrench on it. Just have to use cheater bar and guess the best you can.

4. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Whoa, that is "C" range at 2-1/8". That is why I keep a manual in the truck. C is the mid range of ABCDE.

5. lawnmedic1

lawnmedic1 LawnSite Member

Just pay attention to each mower that you look at. Some 32" Hydro's are not pump and motor units but just hydrostatic trans axles. These units will not pull hills very well, hard to get straight lines and have to be shifted into reverse. Other than that, buy from a dealer that is going to support you...Chuck

6. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 32" eXmarkm metro. I bought it when i was 13 2 months after i bought my 48" bunton bullet. Which kept falling apart and it was brand new. I paid $600 for it $250 in over a 2 year period. I was offered $1200 to $1500 for it this year. If you want a Hydro, look at the Wright Velke mower. They make a 32" version. Very well built. I have a lot of wright equipment and i love them.

7. gr8cutter

gr8cutter LawnSite Member

We just bought the new gravley 34z. It is a ZTR but fits through back gates. It cost more, 3899, but I think it is better to ride than walk if there is a choice.