What 36" to buy !

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf Dancer, Jan 24, 2003.

What 36 " to buy !

Poll closed Feb 8, 2003.
  1. Exmark TTHP 36" 15HP Kaw

21 vote(s)
  2. Great Dane Scamper 36" 14HP Kaw

1 vote(s)
  3. Great Dane Gateway 52"

0 vote(s)
  4. Wright Stander 36"

8 vote(s)
  5. Great Dane Super Surfer 36"

1 vote(s)
  1. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

I am needing very much to upgrade to a small big boy toy! 36"
    I am finally going to take the plunge and jump from using a couple of HONDA 21 " which are great machines to the 36"
    The need of a 36 is due to the fact that most everyone around here has never heard of a gate larger than 36" Please keep in mind this will be my primary mower
    Due to a lot of research in my area and surrounding areas I have narrowed it down to the following machines as I can't decide between a WB or a Stander ! Please vote on this topic and help me decide If you have other opinions on this subject please email me ! Thanks
  2. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

Consider that due to the high quality of workmanship on fences, many gates that measure 36" at latch height are not 36" at ground level where the mower passes. In fact some 36" gates at latch level are as small as 34". After buying a 36, the next year I purchased a 32 for this very reason.
  3. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Xpnd...what 32 did you buy?...sorry to take this a bit off the thread topic...but its kind of related
  4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Just out of curiosity, what is the price difference between a 32" and a 36" TTHP?

Anyone know?
  5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Matt, can't get a 32" TTHP, the only 32" hydro eXmark offers is Viking which is fixed deck. as far as i know anyway.
  6. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

out of the one's that you did the poll for I would pick the exmark, but my personal choice would be SCAG. but that is my .02 cents.
  7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Yeah...it just popped in my head right before I came back to this thread. I recently purchased a 36" and I am just worried about getting through gated lawns after reading the post by xpnd.

8. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Xpnd, excellent post. The gate size problem has gotten me before. This is just something to keep in mind.

9. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

I originally purchased a 36" SCAGG. At the time, I could not afford the loss on a trade and wanted to use both machines on the same turf area without a height of cut problem between two different machines I was comitted to a 32" SCAGG. In hindsight however I would have opted for the LESCO machines for only one reason. The SCAGG has what I think is an intentionall engineered failure. The electronic clutch is controlled by 12 guage wiring that if it is going to break will break right where it enters the clutch. There is not enough left to splice a repair and I see no way to open the clutch and get it back together in working order. I have a very expensive perfectly working clutch on the shelf I can not use because of this problem. A plug in connector at the point of entry would have precluded this problem. The LESCO has a lever operated manual clutch. Not as easy but far fewer moving parts. Another thing I don't like about the SCAGG is that the plastic plugs for the wiring connections are not or do not seem to be UV resistant. A replacement wiring harness is prhibitively expensive for what you are buying but you can get new plugs at Radio Shack for about $1.50

P.S. Sorry, I quoted the incorrect message. Imeant to quote what 32" I purchased
  10. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

Turf, we are in the same boat as you, we are looking for a 32-36. We have looked at many of these and now are leaning towards the stander. It is $4100 right now. A 36 hydro walk behind will cost you over 3000. For that money the stander is more attractive to us. We have demo'd the stander and loved it, it is very fast forward and reverse and the main thing is your are saving miles on your legs.