What 36inch mower is best for me

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GP2000, Apr 24, 2001.

1. GP2000

GP2000 LawnSite Member
    from K.C, MO

I do not want to spend more than 3000, I would really like to stay around 2500 but would go up to 3000 if needed. I am going to be cutting/mulching mainly a bluegrass fescue mix 3 to 3.5 inches high. I am only mowing 5 yards a week for a total of 6 hours of mowing. There are no major hills ect. I need a 36inch deck so I can get through all the gates. Just need some suggestions. I am in K.C. MO so I should be able to find all the brands.

2. mike

mike LawnSite Member

3. Grassman

Grassman LawnSite Member

Since you don't have any major hills, look at the belt drives. I'd suggest going with a 5spd Peerless tranny and a mower with double V belts. These units rarely encounter slippage problems like the variable speeds. Exmark, Bobcat, Scag, etc. all make good ones. Demo some on your lawns to find what works best and is most comfortable. Unfortunately, most belt drives other than Toro and Exmark are all pistol grip. Good luck, Russ
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have the eXmark 36" belt drive and its great. I put the mulching kit on it last year and refuse to take it off. I use it on fescue, zoysia, and bermuda. It does great on all types.
  5. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

the only 36" ive used is my Derby (Ferris) my dealer has them for $2999 this year. If you only have five yards you might want to track down a used one then as you pick up jobs, upgrade.
  6. fireball

fireball LawnSite Member
    from ne Pa

Lesco has them(36inches)at $2450, gear drive.
  7. corycc

corycc LawnSite Member

You can't get a hydro for under 3K and Exmark does not make anything else but pistol grips on belt drives. I bought a 36" Exmark metro with the 15 Kaw and a sulkey for just over $2,800. Love this engine. You don't need a hydro anyway atleast on a 36". Good Luck.
  8. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

For the little use you are talking about, used would be a good option. I know Encore is big in KC. Bet you could find a good used unit. Good luck.