What a Bad First Day

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FatherandSon, Apr 20, 2004.

1. FatherandSon

FatherandSon LawnSite Member

Started out yesterday morning doing our first mowings of the year. We waited for the lawns to dry some. Started by myself as son was working his regular job. Finish first lawn, a new customer and it went very well. Time to leave. Didn't want to back on to the busy street as there was no way to see because of trees. No problem, backed onto an area of the lawn I thought was hard enough. WRONG. Truck and trailer both stuck even with 4 wheel drive. GREAT. Thank God a friendly neighbor pulled me out.

Went directly to the next lawn. Made half a lap and buried the Turf Tiger really good. Just couldn't get it out. Mowed this lawn for 3 years and was never wet in this area. Oh well, took sons Turf Tiger off the trailer and finished cutting.

Then son showed up, couldn't stop laughing and just had to take several pictures of Dad's screw up... Then he pulled me out.

What a first day, I must be getting too old and senile for this...

Hope today is better..

2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

last week got stuck twice two days in a row, why because it was early in the morning and ground was wet. area looked dry but it obviously wasnt.driving a truck with heavy trailer on a customers lawn?! never!!! what did you do about the turfed up lawn?

3. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I too hope you totally fixed this area and let the customer know what happened. Let us know. I have gained accounts were this same problem was not handled well by the previous company.

Gravely_Man

4. FatherandSon

FatherandSon LawnSite Member

Believe me we are not scrubs. First of all the customers are in England for 6 weeks. Not a regular customer, was doing a favor once they return they will cut their own lawn.

Yes, I am fixing the ruts of course. Son and I are going up this weekend with top soil and grass seed to fix the area. Keep in mind it is a cr@appy area to start with so it will look better than ever.

We normally don't take on a temporary cut, but wanted to be a nice guy. As usual nice guys finish last. It certainly wasn't intentional but the alternative of backing a trailer on to a busy street when you couldn't see wasn't good either.

However, today was great didn't get stuck at all................

5. sonandfather

sonandfather LawnSite Member

If I was there with my bow tie It never would of gotten buried. but them there FORDS are nothin' but an anchor:p Any way all is well today everything went smooth. I will never forget pulling up and seeing the ol' man's SCAG buried it was a great memory to hold onto!!! Happy Spring...

6. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

That sucks. Sounds like one of those days where you should have just stayed in bed. Where are the pics??

7. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

It's days like that, that make the good days seem great.

8. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Glad to hear that you are taking care of the damaged lawn. You never know, this might win the customer over and they will have you take on their property full time.

Gravley_Man

9. Four Season's

Four Season's LawnSite Member
    from Maine

Father and Son,

sounds like a fun day. I would have to agree with you about the Fords being anchors, the chevy would have gone right through!

10. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

You said your son took pictures.... So where are they?!?!? LOL!