What a chore

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by bobcat_ron, Jun 18, 2008.

1. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

I replaced all 72 knives on my flail mower, they are held on by clevis shackles and Grade 8 pins with 5/32" cotter pins, and since I bought stainless steel cotter pins last time around, these were a b*tch to get off, so I had to cut them all off with the Dremel tool, then reassemble the new (and much heavier) knives on the shackles, grinding off some material to get them to squeeze into the rotor heard mounts and bend in new cotter pins, and yes like an idiot, I used stainless.

First thing I did was torch off the hokey-pokey "guard" on the front, this was a PITA when cutting, all it did was lay grass down and make it 10 times harder to cut:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5 hours later, and a grinning smile with new teeth:
    [​IMG]

Total cost, $516.00 with taxes, each knife was $3.69 each (x80) new pins and shackles (x40) and 2 bucks worth of cotter pins.

Yuck, I am not looking forward to doing this next year!

2. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice Job

hwo does the flail mower work

3. bobcat_ron

I won't know until I start using it on another large grass job, I used it on a pile of tree limbs we cut last week and it seems to hammer much better.
    But I am starting to miss my high flow from my Bobcat.

4. minimax

minimax LawnSite Senior Member

Looks good ron,Did you change motors on the mower when you changed ctl's?
    And it looks like you are "down" cutting ,I only "up" cut and if cuts alot better.

minimax

5. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

You'll probably love that flail mower, I built one for my rc30, out of an old ford 3ph 4' flail mower. You can go from a hay field to what looks like a fine lawn in one step. Flails on that one look like they're about double the thickness on the one that I have!:waving:

6. bobcat_ron

Huh?!

My rotor shaft spins towards me, so yours spins opposite???

If I stand on the hose/motor side, mine spins counter clockwise.

Now you got me curious.

Damn it!

The motor was never changed, it was a standard flow that was modified to a high flow with a case drain line, but now I run standard flow, but I might need to High Flow my Cat now, I sure miss 24 GPM now!

7. bobcat_ron

My old flails were only 5mm thick, these are 8mm, the standard in the industry, these are Tiger Flails, made in Italy.

The cutting edges run almost right up the sides, unlike the old ones that were just on the leading edges, both sides.

8. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Another thought, Ron, on my Asv, near the right joystick there is a continuous flow switch, which when you turn off the switch on the dash, to disable the momentary flow switches (thumb buttons), you can reverse the flow to the motor on just about any attachment. Your machine should have it too. Up cutting with the flailmower is how I use mine most!

9. bobcat_ron

Nope, not on my pilots, the right has just the dial-the-flow roller and 1 trigger, the right has 4 buttons, left side is continuous, only works once the roller is moved, then lock the flow in place with the button, one is a horn and the other 2 are for the attachment control system that they use, an another trigger.

I am going to have to have another system put in, I really want the momentary contact buttons back for the hammer, but that I can do when I make up my mind to High Flow my machine when I am rich and famous again.

As far as I know, my motor has a goofy seal that is a one way set up, I was told if I reverse the oil flow, the seal self destructs, but I am now going to question this.

10. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

BC you need high flow to get to 24gpm. I make 22 gpm on reg. aux. flow. My hell man you should have bought yourself a "professional grade" skid steer.