What a day? Dropping two customers.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by T-N-T Lawn Care, Jun 30, 2003.

1. T-N-T Lawn Care

T-N-T Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Usually my days go pretty well. I'm sure some of you have had a lot worse. First I do this one and the neighborhood is just awful. Guys are in the street will not move out of the way. Should have just ran them over. Your afraid to leave your truck. As we're driving by
    they reaching out to grab the equipment. Not doing him anymore. It's an everyother week any how. Is that wrong to drop him just because of his neighborhood?

Then I have this one lady that wants everything for free. She too
    is an everyother week. She calls and says not to do her tomorrow because she had another guy do it for free and that she will call when she needs me again. This guy is only doing it for a little while. I don't think so. How many of you guy do the everyother weekers?
    To me they seem to be a big pain in the bum-bum !!

2. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

dont sweat it. even though you may feel bad it sounds like it is a wise business decision. Not all the things we have to do are the good things. We stopped doing 2 week accounts long ago. It was killing us by one of two reasons, 1. we had a hole in the schedule on the off weeks, or two if we had the full weeks list to do then the 2 week accounts would thrust helpers into overtime even further.
  3. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

You came to the right place to star learning how to manage better your company, cause thanks to this site I now do better.

Don't be afraid to drop customers just do it in a professional manner be polite, explain to them your reasons, your business is like a flower bed you'll have to weed out the bad customers or the ones that are stopping you from growing.

when you star doing this full time you also need full time customers, some properties can be easy to maintain every other week some you'll have a hard time, I do some every other week because they are on a contract and they paid accordingly, but I've found that most of the times people who wants service every other week are the ones who will give you a hard time and are not woth to have and never give any extras.

I had this one customer long time ago which use to call me to do his lawn when he tough it need it, (usually after it was a foot and a half tall) I charged him $40 and use to take me 35-45 min to do it, then I started to think about the wear and tear on my equipment then I pulled out the yearly report for him I had a whoopping $200 for the whole year (I mowed it 5 times) just the Idea of replaicing a spindle made me realize that I was loosing money, following year I explain to him that from now on I could only take customers on a yearly basis, and your price for this season will be $xxxx he said, well I live on a fixed income I sure can not afford to pay that much, well you gotta do what you gotta do and same here.

Not only you'll loose money but at the same time you loose prospect customers, because people see the kind of job you do.

For me I don't take bi-weekly customers unless the property really calls for it, not only mowing, because no matter how nice you cut without trimming it just doesn't look right, not only trimming because people think I left those ugly clumps and scalps all over the lawn, I now realize that I should've done it long time ago.
  4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Get Out of there, Just one Piece Of Equipment Is gone It's Going to Cost More then You are Making.
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I feel that if it is causing you and your employees stress, then get out of there.
  6. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Above all else, you must consider your (and any workers) safety.

Then your equipment, these are the tools you make your living with. They are normally locked down aren't they?

If you have a pretty full slate of work to do (not hurting for work) you should begin culling out your troublesome customers. Whatever the reason, if you consider them a hassle, drop them (nicely if possible), fill their slot with a good no problem client.
  7. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

If they are not a full service account then they are not done at all. The only exception to this is for tree work. For the problems you listed it is not worth keeping these every other week accounts.

8. T-N-T Lawn Care

T-N-T Lawn Care LawnSite Member

The gent in the bad neighborhood had the nerve to call and complain I did not clean out his cactus. Boy O Boy some people. All for $35 a cut. I'm going to call this evening and tell I will no longer be able to service him. I would refer him to the guy I usually help get accounts but I don't even wish this on him.

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

its a no brainer, dump them both
  10. Frosty_03

Frosty_03 LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you're working on the west side 103rd street or sandlewood sub-division I would drop both accounts. Do you have your equipment lock-up? Safety is always first for you and your workers. :cool: