What a day - injury

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FIRESCOOBY, Oct 7, 2007.

1. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

Well, my nightmare of being a solo operator became a reality this morning.

I'm a career firefighter and we were on an apartment fire. We were taking up after the fire and wasn't paying as much attention as I should have and fell backwards (ground level). Being that there were many co-workers around I did my best to not completely bust me a**. In doing that I planted my left foot too well and felt/heard a POP. I would have been much better off just falling and taking the verbal abuse that would have surely come.

Anyway, it looks as though I've got an orange on the outside of my left ankle and can't put any weight on my left foot unless I am REALLY careful. I've got a walking cast from an identical injury to my right ankle 5 years ago. Wearing that gives me a little more support. I went to workers comp doc this morning, and I've gotta try to get into an ortho tomorrow.

Anyway, I've emailed my customers and explained my situation and told them I will still be completing all services as promised...maybe just a little slower. I've got several mowings, aerations, over seedings, and ferts scheduled for this week. It's gonna be a slow and painful week...but one way or the other I'll get it done. The main part I am worried about is the areas that are steep when trimming or using the walk behind...these areas may be delayed.

Oh well...life goes on. I'm lucky that this is my only injury. It can always be worse.

Sorry...just venting.

2. ExclusiveLawnCare

ExclusiveLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry to hear that, and hey just take it slow and easy and everything will be alright.

3. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry to hear that!
    Hope you get better soon.
    do you have any family in the area? you might want to see if you could get a friens,kind if you have any old enough, siblings or family member to give you an extra hand

4. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Well you know this better than anyone being a first responeder RICE for that puppy. ow long are you going to be off work from the fire house?

Do you have any firefighter buddies looking to make some extra cash? Stay off the hillsides cause one wrong turn and you will be at the bottom of that hill with a bum ankle that is for sure.

JP

5. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry to hear that just be careful not tohurt yourself any worse.

6. FIRESCOOBY

Thanks guys...

Nobody that can help right now...everybody is busy with other stuff.

Gotta try to stay off the slopes and stuff. Got ICE on it right now, keeping it as elevated as much as possible and keeping compression wrap on it too.

7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Best of luck mending up quick man! I'm Solo as well, and full time. Just thinking about a serious injury that puts me out of commision for a while gets me sweating... I gave up 4 wheeling after a pretty good wreck once. It made me realize just how fast I could put myself out of comission and out of money!

Surely the word will spread around your friends, someone will step up and at least do some of the leg-work for you for a while.

8. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

Put some red clay...I know there is plenty red clay down your way. I promise you it will work. The acid from the clay somehow reduces the swelling. Try it, and you will be back in action in no time.

9. SouthernCutter

SouthernCutter LawnSite Member

that sucks man....wish i could help ya. Do you have any pictures of your foot/leg?

10. FIRESCOOBY

Thanks...I'll try it.