WHAT A DAY!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Premo Services, Apr 12, 2001.

1. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

My first job was one that I figured would be a problem,which is an understatment. The job was a daughter and referral from a very good customer. She calls last monday and says to wait until this week after tuesday to cut, I told her I was going to check it and if she thought I could wait then I would,but all the lawns were growing like crazy. It rained 2 days this week and the grass was a foot tall in spots. When I drove up, my first thought was to keep going but she was a referral from a customer,so I cut the grass 2 times,bagged, blew the walks so I could edge,and blew again.
    It took twice as long and I will be charging for 2 cuts,plus 10.00 for extra time to edge ,since it should have been cut last week. The first two years I started this bus,I would wait till the cust. called and said to cut,found out they would let it grow & grow and then call and say it needs cutting. For the last four years I have been starting when I thought it was time,with no complaints.
    Enough venting I will call her in morn and tell her she let it grow way too long and of the extra charges.

2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

A learned lesson, don't let the customer run your business. Like you said, they'll call you after it needs to be cut.

3. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Bob I don`t do that anymore,haven`t for 4 years, she was almost insisting that I wait till this week.Thats what I hate the most,when people try to run your business.I have put a halt to most of that with new customers telling me to wait for a couple weeks in the spring, I say ok, but the charge will be doubled to do it.

4. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I start chraging for extra work from now on. If the job costs me more time, it costs them more money. They do that to save money and don't care that you spent alot of time cause they feel the customer is right philospohy.

5. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

my conracts read 26 weeks at $$$$ pr wk. I simply start cutting when I decide it's time. 26 weeks carries easily into the fall. I have few complaints.

6. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I drove way out of my way to cut a ladies grass. Have been doing her yard for years. She has some type of mental illness and wont take meds for it. Well i show up after letting her yard go an extra week so it would grow more. And she tells me "I dont feel like hearing your mower today". She did this a couple of year ago to me too but this time she was very rude when I insisted that it needed cutting and i didnt drive all this way out not to do it. So we agreed to part company. In other words I fired her and she fired me LOL. The deranged B***h could have least called me before I came out there. I did give her an out though and told her she would have to pay double the next time if I had to come back. Have not heard from her on that. But someone like her with her problems could accuse me of anything so I guess it good we fired each other