What a Day!!!

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by WJW Lawn, Sep 21, 2006.

1. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

So Im coming home last night after finishing up some late afternoon evening work, and my truck goes up in smoke...like bad....like cheech and chong bad. The same truck I spend 8 dollars a week in oil on....has just thrown a rod....and is officially dead. While I'd like to buy a brand new truck... Im pretty tight on spending money, and dont feel like owing the bank anymore Benjamins so i wanted to see if you guys had any thoughts on buying used trucks. What brand of truck out there would you buy used if you had to? And if you have one you love...how many miles have you put on it?

2. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Is the truck you have now in good shape? If it is, why not get another motor for it?

3. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

yeah what do you have now throw a create motor in it and itll run brand new but if not theres plenty of used trucks out there both good and bad

4. Maitland Man

Maitland Man LawnSite Member

I will ONLY use these trucks for my business. The 300 straight six is BULLETPROOF!!! We have sold two with over 300,000 miles on them...still running strong. They run cool almost all the time but yet, are forgiving to overheating. I mean, they used them in F350's for years and years they are so durable.

Anyways.....we now have a 93 with 230,000....a 94 f150 with 220,00.....and a 87 f150 with 270,000. They don't burn oil, leak on driveways, smoke, or leave us stranded. Each one of the trucks have had well over two dozen DIFFERENT drivers over the years, countless hours of idling with the air cond. on during those hour lunch breaks. (I really hate it when they do that!!)

They can usually be purchased for under $2000.00 with around 120,000 miles on them. If for some CRAZZZZZZY reason a straight six motor "goes", it's a real easy R+R job to get it going again.

Dennis