what a deal I came across today!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by baddboygeorge, Apr 17, 2007.

1. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

I was looking to buy a new mower an i found a few 61 great dane surfers, one has the kawi 23 an the other has a 22 kohler command . The 22 hp is a series 2 great dane that has more features to it but both are priced incredibly! Which one is the better option ! let me know thanks George

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Does one of them have the Gen II deck?

If so, I vote for that one.

3. thefed

thefed LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

what are they priced ?

4. Daneman

Daneman LawnSite Member

George,
    The Gen 2 SUper Surfer with the Kohler is a 25hp. If it's a 22, it's a gen 1. Does the fuel tank have the sheet metal wrapped around the fuel tank? If so, then it is a gen 1. Also you can tell if the discharge chute is plastic or metal. Plastic = gen 2, metal = gen 2

5. baddboygeorge

It has the plastic tank an the other is an original super surfer with 23 kawi i am gonna buy theses at $4,700 a piece ! Is that a good deal they are brand new with zero hours an a full 2 year warranty!!They are last years model! An the dealer needs them to go! thanks george

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Hey man... here's the deal.

This is the Gen II deck design...
    Big baffle lip on the front skirt of the deck.
    Black plastic discharge sheild.

[​IMG]

If they don't have this deck then they are not Gen II's and therefore NOT last year's model.
    That should help you sort out the old or Gen II thing and help you know if they are 2006's.

In any event, if they are 61" models with good power.... and still new with full warranty like you say.... well then $4,700 isn't bad. Not bad at all. I think even Lesco wants $6,899 (?) for the floating deck 61" models.

7. baddboygeorge

One is the gen 2 series its exactly like the pic you posted with a 22 kohler command motor an donaldson air filter setup. the other unit is just a regular surfer but brand new ! with 23 kawi! I think at $ 4700 bucks they are giving them away!

8. Daneman

Daneman LawnSite Member

George, double check your engine, the 61" gen 2 was never produced with anything but a 25hp kohler, with the big air filter. You might be getting a bigger engine than you thought.

9. baddboygeorge

I will check again in the morning an get back with you! Thanks George

10. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

George,
    I am NOT a big fan of kohler engines. It seems they have not figured out a way to keep dirt from entering the air filter area and one is always forced to clean the carb. My $.02.. go w/ the kaw. Hope all is well and that the trailer has helped you out.

Bob