What a dumba$$

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by mike007, Apr 8, 2007.

1. mike007

mike007 LawnSite Member

Anybody ever lose a check? Must have lost it out of my wallet paying for lunch. Should I call the customer and have him stop payment and rewrite? This couldnt look any more unprofessional. If it werent for his info on it Id just eat it. Already looked through the truck and through my business case but I believe my dumba$$ lost it. Lets hear it fellas.:nono:

2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

your going to have to tell him what happened so he knows. dont want something happening with his account and then blaming you for it.

3. Mr. Vern

Mr. Vern LawnSite Senior Member

It all depends on how much the check was for. If the amount is more important to you than your pride, call the guy - he will understand. It's really not a big deal, just embarassing!:hammerhead:

4. mike007

mike007 LawnSite Member

It was only $200 but its more a matter of pride and professionalism. It was a down payment for materials. Not that big of deal as far as money goes since I always front the materials anyhow but its really bothering me, this just doesnt happen to me. Goes to show no matter how organized you are, stuff still happens.

5. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

Happened to me a couple times, one time it flew off my dashboard while I was driving in rush hour traffic. Get another check, you'd look just as stupid if you forgot to cash it.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh yeah, I lose or missplace at least 1 a year, sometimes two, par for the course, no biggie. Half the time I don't even know it until my customer reminds me their check hasn't cleared the bank... Chances are if it's lost, it's gone, but you might wait 60-90 days to see if it clears somehow, maybe you deposited it and don't remember or it just might still turn up.
    What I usually do (beyond looking for it of course) is of course wait some time (like at least a month) and then ask them about that check one day and would they mind seeing if it cleared the bank because I think it may have got lost...? Then, once they confirm that it has not cleared I ask if they wouldn't mind writing another one, I don't personally ask for stop payment but I make sure if I ever find it that it does not go through, my customers trust me so it's usually no problem (not saying yours don't, but stopping payment is a bit of a waste in most cases, once lost = forever gone, most of the time)... Perhaps for larger amounts you might stop pay, but not no $35 lol, I'd say at least $350 or so and higher, then maybe yes.

7. Midwest Lawn Services

Midwest Lawn Services LawnSite Member

Remember to put your client first. Personal information on that check if in the wrong hands could cost you more than the amount the check is worth! ALWAYS be honest with your clients. Explain what happened, and explain how you will not let the problem occur again. The big guy up above will take care of the rest for you. I know. It has happened to me before. I still have the client...10 years later!:)

8. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Lost a few. This is why I like them to mail me my payment instead of pay on site. I put in my pocket and I am sure the washer monster eats a few. people are usually good about letting you know when they dont clear.

9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

LawnSite Fanatic

Oh yeah, I lose or missplace at least 1 a year, sometimes two, par for the course, no biggie. Half the time I don't even know it until my customer reminds me their check hasn't cleared the bank...

Oh really? Loosing customers checks 1 or 2 a year huh? Don't even know it??WoW, how responsible and professional can one get!!

Chances are if it's lost, it's gone, but you might wait 60-90 days to see if it clears somehow, maybe you deposited it and don't remember or it just might still turn up.

Oh yes, of course better to wait until someone else finds it, endorses it and cashes it. and THEN expect to retrieve your lost $$ by asking your client for another check. WRONG!

What I usually do (beyond looking for it of course) is of course wait some time (like at least a month) and then ask them about that check one day and would they mind seeing if it cleared the bank because I think it may have got lost...? Then, once they confirm that it has not cleared I ask if they wouldn't mind writing another one,

Oh they already know it has not cleared yet, if no one else cashed it. ALWAYS ask them to stop payment on a lost check. Pay their stop pmnt fee of $25.00 and ask for a new check. This action avoids problems, being embarrassed is better than loosing the whole amount of the check.
    You THINK it MIGHT have got lost?? Oh my oh my!!

I don't personally ask for stop payment but I make sure if I ever find it that it does not go through, my customers trust me so it's usually no problem (not saying yours don't, but stopping payment is a bit of a waste in most cases, once lost = forever gone, most of the time)... Perhaps for larger amounts you might stop pay, but not no $35 lol, I'd say at least $350 or so and higher, then maybe yes.

Sheshovel advises you not to take advice like this, it is not the way a professional business person handles situations such as this.

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Call him...he is going to find out about it when you trys to reconcile his monthly bank statement anyway.