1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What a ka ka koo koo day today, holy bajeebus...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnguyland, Nov 18, 2005.

1. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

I had two strange occurances today while on my route. The first was scary, crazy, and still unexplained. The second was bad then good.
    First, I was in a line of cars waiting to cross the railroad tracks on the main line if the LIRR. I sat there for 5 minutes as train after train went by nice and slow. I'm behind a school bus. Gates go up and we start to go. The bus stops at the tracks to look/listen and I'm right behind him driving my truck and open trailer. The bus goes across. Then I go across. Almost. My truck died in the middle of the tracks. Ding ding ding ding ding, yes, you guessed it, the gates are going down. OH SHIITE. Turn key, it starts! Hooray. But, no. I put it in Drive and the truck dies after going 1-2 feet. What the F? Look left and there comes the train from the stop about 1/3 mile down in New Hyde Park. Now I start to freak out. I turn the key and it cranks and cranks, but no start! Oh no. It turns over , I floor it, put it in D and it goes 2 more feet and dies. Luckily I was foward enough that the gate behind me didn't hit the trailer and the one in front of me was the short one so I had no gate directly in front of me. I kept having to start, shift to drive, go 2 feet, stall, put it in Park, start, go 2 feet and stall. What made it worse was after the tracks was up-hill so I couldn't roll even. I managed, thank God to get through enough, but that was scary. I still don't know what happened? 5 minutes later, after sitting towards the side of the road figuring out how to get towed w/ the tralier the truck started and drove fine all day. Anybody have any clues as to what was happening? The truck would start, run in park and N, but die in D. It was 1st trip of the day and almost the last!

The second thing that happend, which alone would have been enough, was I put my cell phone in my shirt pocket after the train tracks fiasco and somewhere along the line it fell out. Sweeeet, the goes almost 200$. The good news is that I drove back later to all the leaf piles I made in the streets today with another cell phone, kept calling the leaf piles, and actually found my phone, unscathed! The leaf piles otherwise did not respond to my calls. Also, the village leaf vacuum trucks stopped for the day only two blocks away from where I found the phone in a leaf pile.
    Hooooray! I almost lost my truck, equipment, and cell phone today, but somehow someone up there was watching over me. I wasn't worried too much about me beacuse I could see the train coming really slow from the stop it was just at and knew I had a little time to bail out if needed.

:cool2: Thank you up there!:cool2:
  2. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

i'm not sure what was going on with the truck. How cold was it outside?
    after that day i know where i'd be sunday though:angel:
  3. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Crazy:dizzy: Easy check would be spark plugs, I doubt thats it though, to easy of a fix.
  4. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Crazy day indeed. Glad your safe.
  5. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

the truck wouldn't happen to be a ford diesel would it?
  6. lawnguyland

no, 93 ford w/ 100k miles. Very strange. Thanks for the well wishes proenterprise
  7. lawnguyland

it was low 30s, maybe it had to do with sitting for a few minutes waiting for the trains?, but I doubt it.
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe the FEAR of getting run over by a train didn't help... I dunno, see how it runs for some time, monitor it and know it MIGHT do it again. Perhaps try some this:
    Replace fuel filter, air filter, change oil and filter, change spark plugs, wires, and cap and rotor (at least do that which hasn't been done in some time, and use HIGH performance items where you can). Those are the basic items for an overall tune-up, beyond that there just isn't much, maybe the PCV valve and a breather cap if so equipped, oh and check all your vacuum hoses and electrical connections for cracks and stuff, replace if needed, spend a little time with it, maybe it helps.

I thought your feedback from the leaves concerning the phone was hilarious :)
  9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

So it drove fine the rest of the day?

I've seen that with straight drive Ford trucks but not automatics.
    So I'm curious about the fine details of how it "died" the first time.

I going to take a guess that it was electrical in nature.
    Probably a short or a sensor on the fritz.
  10. Dogbonz

Dogbonz LawnSite Senior Member

I would guess elc also,,, my bros truck ran didnt then ran again for 3 days,, turns out the pick up coil wire was broken and holding on by a thread,,,
    also had a 93 chevy canvilier and the coil pack had a small crak when motor got hotter the crack would expand and the car would stall wait too mins and it would start right back up,,, Electrical stuff can do weird things! =(