What a lousy day shopping for a mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scapegoat, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Scapegoat

Scapegoat LawnSite Member

I set out to check out 4 local dealers to check out some W/B mowers.

1st stop Hustler dealer. Went in, looked around and only saw ztr riding mowers. Guy behind the counter said "oh, I don't work here and walked away." I kinda walked around some more and didn't see anyone around. So after 5 minutes I left.

2nd stop Scag dealer. Guy behind the counter says, "We don't keep any W/B in stock. Nobody buys those." Then went on reading his magazine like I wasn't there. I said, "Can you order them?" "Sure, but we don't stock parts to service them." I walk away.

3rd stop Wright/Toro dealer. Walk in and look around. Pretty busy. 1 52" Toro W/B on the floor. Rest ztr riders. 2 Wright Standers, price on the 36" is $4999. I finally get someone to help me and he apparently isn't interested in answering questions. I say, "Do you carry the 32" Stander and how much is it. "Wright doesn't make a 32" stander" he says. "Yes, yes they do, I assure him." This leads to 5 minutes of him on the phone calling to find out if Wright makes a 32. I can see where all this is going. Finally comes back, "yes, we can order one, they are $4795." I say, do you carry any Toro 36" W/B?" "Normally we have a few, but are all out. Come back next week" he says. I was like, "Ok, I would like to demo one of those and the Stander." "Oh no, we don't let you demo any here. You have to set up an appt. with the manufacturing representative and he will bring in a demo. That could take a month." I ask for a price and he flips some pages and says $3999 for the Toro hydro 36" and then walks into the back. I guess that means we're done and I leave.

4th stop Gravely dealer. Walk in, no W/B's I see. "I only carry 1 kind. Not a Gravely. Nobody wants W/B's. We have a fixed deck, belt drive 36" over there I sell to kids starting out." I don't recognize the brand. He at least was very friendly and took time to chat with me. I start to give up on the W/B and look at the Gravely ztr's 34z and 44z which I thought were nice and both in my budget. I thank him and come home.

Sorry for the long post but I was pretty bummed out that I didn't see any W/B mowers. I guess Florida is pretty flat and people like to zip around on ztr's? Not sure what to buy now.......

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Do you mow very small properties with small gates where the walk behind would be better. Just wondering why you want a walk behind. I'm not trying to be smart its just that in my area of the country nobody uses a walkbehind unless its a very steep grade. I know in the cities the lots are smaller and they are often gated (small gates). 1/2 acre would be a small lot for me. Most of mine are1-2 acres.
    Well that being said I hope you find what your looking for. Surely someone on this board can recomend a good dealer in your area. I havn't had much luck in my area. They are great on the sales end just not the service end, its like take a number wait in line and don't call us we"ll call you...

3. Scapegoat

biggest lot I would have is 1/2 acre, mostly 1/4 acre lots with 2500 sq foot cookie cutter homes on them. Not alot of yard. I do see guys using 60" riders on them, but seems overkill to me. And yeah, a fair amount of gates, usually on the homes built in the 60's / 70's.

4. Jozgators

Jozgators LawnSite Member

scapegoat where are you located in florida? In central florida area I know of some dealers who carry both.

5. Scapegoat

I'm in the greater Vero Beach area. Not alot of dealers right around here. I pretty much hit all the ones today that carry what I was looking for.

Any advice on other dealers is much appreciated.

6. Scapegoat

Thing that struck me most was the lack of a demo on an in house mower (at least from the guy that carried the Toro W/B / Wright Stander). I could buy from a dealer a hundred miles away, but I wouldn't be able to demo it locally.

Not sure how I can make a good W/B vs. Stander vs. small ZTR decision if I can't demo them?

7. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I like to get off my arss and walk every once in a while.. There is nothing wrong with wanting to stay in shape! :)

Maybe check for a used WB on Ebay or buy direct from the manufacturer..

8. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

I been dying to demo a stander for some properties i got with steep slopes. No dealer near me. Seems everyone here carries ZTR's but no walk behinds either. Even my killer toro deal doesnt carry anything bigger than a 26 walk behind and thats XXX brand. Usually has a few used from trade ins or repairs that were never picked up tho

9. Scapegoat

Yeah, I just wish I could demo something.

10. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

You guys are making me happy I've still got my old 48" Skag wb I started out with. Some dealer help can be a pain. Try to talk to the owner or someone working on commission rather than hourly help. They know the value of your money.

Jim