"What A Mess" Look At This Picture

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Daner, Apr 26, 2006.

1. grassmasterdawn

grassmasterdawn LawnSite Member

OMG! What a frickin mess! You're a lot braver than I am.

Yeah, keep the pictures coming. This will probably be a great example of BEFORE and AFTER to use in any ads you might do.
  2. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

Most of the rocks that i use will be right off her property...from a old rock fence...most the rocks are round shape limestone
    But we may have to buy some flat ones to finish off the top around the pond
    Should be fun:rolleyes:
  3. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

You shouldn't use limestone for ponds.
  4. Daner

Hmm why whats wrong with the lime stone??
  5. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

limestone changes the pH level of a pond. Not good for fish or plants.
  6. Fishwhiz

Fishwhiz LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

There is a bit of the good, bad and ugly in this thing. I see the barnyard runoff looking water, but it looks like someone had a fairly good eye for the rock layout; it looks much more natural than the typical stack of round rocks used for landscape ponds. The face of this thing looks much more like a natural waterfall. See how the rocks are not all one size?

That site has a lot of potential too. Use the slope to make it look real, but avoid the "stream at the top of the hill" look of usual decorative ponds. build up around the water fall to make it fit the landscape.

If you plan to use a synthetic liner, it will need a lot of protection from the roughness of the boulders. We use clay so we don't worry about that. You can use clay under your liner in case you do puncture. It would be a huge pain to chase down those leaks.

In our experience, limestone is only a problem if a fish experiences a sudden change in water chemistry. This is also true for a host of other minerals, but that is a bit off topic here. We add lime to numerous projects for various reasons.

I am envious; you have a terrific opportunity for a before/after example here.

Love to see how it turns out!

7. Daner

I,m taking all the rocks out ...and the liner...jus wondering if i should use that plastic liner up top on the hill and surond it with rocks ...and cut a river opening and flow it down the falls liner...the falls liner that i have is 10' wide(rubber)...that line will drape down to the big one.
    Here we go ...and sugestions ???Love to here from yaa all
    Thanks Daner

landscape 061 -1 pond reno.jpg
  8. Daner

well worked od this project today for 5 hrs
    Takeing all the old cemented rocks out and the molded liner .
    Ihave now move that liner to the top.

A New pond 003 1.jpg
  9. Daner

This one was a heavy one...good thing JD ate his weaties this morning:weightlifter:

A New pond 006 2.jpg
  10. Daner

I was able to get up the hill a bit to clean a spot for this top pond...

A New pond 015 4.jpg