What a mess

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Viseras lawn service, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Viseras lawn service

Viseras lawn service LawnSite Member
    from 6

Got a call today for a "repair" see pics below.

Home owner says they bought the house 4 years ago and it was just installed, so everything was just fine. This is what it looks like now.

They also mentioned that they are getting water in the basement as there is a slab underneath the stoop which was not properly sealed before the stairs were built. He also said that they might have built the steps over an existing stoop, which looks possible because some of the areas havent moved while all of the other steps have begun to tip foward....

We're going to give him a price to remove it all and start from scratch, which they will probably never go for but this is really beyond repair.. The only thing I will probably save are the steps leading up from the driveway. I threw a level on the just for the heck of it and they havent moved at all.

What do ya think?

P3110257.jpg

P3110258.jpg

P3110259.jpg

P3110260.jpg

P3110261.jpg

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Nice pics. Just goes to show that there's a LOT more to hardscaping like that then just stacking up blocks ontop of the dirt. Looks like a nightmare...

3. Viseras lawn service

Viseras lawn service LawnSite Member
    from 6

Yeah, I also think what is in plain sight is only half the story. Some of the gaps in the stoop you can see that what ever they used to fill it is more sand than good crushed stone......oh boy.

4. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh man, it looks like essentially a complete tear-out. Good luck on that one.

5. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I'd tell them that this is a complete safety hazard and they NEED to fix it and sue somebody.

6. Summit L & D

Summit L & D LawnSite Senior Member

I don't see any safety issues....they have lighting.:laugh:

7. weasel

weasel LawnSite Member
    from 5

hope you get a chance to do it right. if so will you post pics?

8. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

and a handrail on each side.

9. Bru75

Bru75 LawnSite Senior Member

Wow! I don't see that they have any choice other than total replacement. If they try to repair that, they'll just have the same problem again... soon.

10. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

Thats going to cost some serious $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$