1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What a nightmare - utility company tearing up MY lawn!

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Nov 25, 2009.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

If you knew how they treated me you would be calling them the a-h not me.
    They were complete jerks, I don't allow that on my property, yelling at me on my own lawn.

I think I am going to keep the sod and just roll er on when they leave.
    I can't wait till there done and out of here, good riddance.
  2. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Need pics! Before, during and after!
  3. VO Landscape Design

VO Landscape Design LawnSite Senior Member

Same type of thing in my front and side yard. Looked like crap when they were done. Tried to fix as best I could but now the ground sinks in different spots. They didn't fill correctly.
  4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

I fully expect this type of shoddy work to occur, thats why I am going to save the sod and at least have some cover up over the winter.

I just don't understand how a homeowner can have a marketable property, and a utility can come and tear up the land and leave it in a state less than that which previously existed. THEY are cutting into MY potential sales price by doing that. PLUS, I will have to foot the bill to repair the damage because these people can't be trusted to properly repair damage for which THEY caused.

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

Save your self a lot of greaf let them do there work make them do a good clean up let it settle over the winter and fix it your self you will be happier
    I use to be a utility contractor and have been though this many times i have dug up more yards than you can shake a stick at
    Charles Cue
  6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

Guys, if I can ask - if I am to remove the sod, how wide of swath should I cut out to allow for the digging. In other words, how wide do they typically ruin with their digging? (utility is digging down a residential gas line and connecting with the gas main which runs thru my yard - T connection).
  7. Hanau

Hanau LawnSite Bronze Member

Go to your gas meter with a small trowel. Scrape away enough dirt to expose the PVC coming out of the ground. What diameter is it? That will dictate trench size.
  8. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i had this happen a few year s back with the water co. they ran new main accros the street(thank god) and ran all new up to the meter in my yard. i just had them leave a nice pile of good dirt in place and told them i would fix it myself. they were more than happy to do so as it would save them time and money. all worked out well and you could never tell in myyard, cant say the same for everyone elses yards!
  9. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

Just call the guy running the company and tell him you are going to send a bill for your repairs to your own yard since the ******** babboons working for him are sloppy.
  10. Springmeadows

Springmeadows LawnSite Senior Member

I am so glad I don't live in the city. I could not tolerate some city worker coming onto my property with a foul mouth and a chip on his shoulder. I am very easy to get along with and feel that I am willing to work with people who are willing to work with me. City workers often times are the ones that have no personality at all.

I am helping my brother in law this week finish his basement in Grand Rapids, MI. I have never met better city inspectors than these. Very helpfull and loaded with common sense, at least the three guys that came here were great. I wish that were the case everywhere.