What A Soab!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by lawn, Jun 19, 2007.

1. lawn

lawn LawnSite Senior Member

CUSTOMERS: husband & wife, realtors, late and bad payers.
    HUSBAND: nice, easy to talk to.
    WIFE: a b---h, so cheap, always fithing prices and talks quick and a lot

This " couple" has 4 properties, a few years ago the husband and I had an agreement that I will mantain one of his houses at not charge if he find me customers. ( BTW that house has no grass, no land, just spring/fall clean up)
    Everything went well, for a few years, until SHE decided to cancel us.

After 2 years, they called me back to work in the properties, but we agreed that I will do that propertie plus free cutting on a second one. ( only cutting, the rest they have to pay for it). And of course they will give me referrals.

We worked all last year, they were a pita to pay but chasing HER around she did.
    At the beginning of this year I sent all my customers and them, a beginning of the season letter asking them tomark what services they want and to mail it back to me otherwise I will assume that everything will be same as last year. THEY DID NOT RESPONDED.So I started working for them as usual.

She gave my number to a prospective home buyer that she had, they needed a price on a retaining wall so they can negotiate the house price, so I went right away and I did, at that time she did not say anything about no wanting us anymore. So we continue working......

I sent them a bill for the month of March and of course no payment was received, continue to work in April sent them another bill for both months ( current month plus balance due) and I get a phine call from her furios saying that she never hired us to do they properties that she hired another landscaper and that she will not pay two landscapers at the same time, and that of course she will not pay. Also one of the houses has a "for sale" sign and she did not want to do anything with it. I called her back, left a message in her voice mail and explain all the above to her. Also I said that is the CLIENT RESPONSABILITY TO CANCEL OUR SERVICES. That we do not have a cristal ball to know if they have someone else or waht they want to do.
    I never hear back neither get paid for it.
    So yesterday I sent her husband an email saying that I want to get paid for services rendered at their properties or I will take them to collection.
    Today I get an email form him saying that he talked to his wife and that they did not asked as to do anything, so they will not pay. and bla bla bla.

He said that he will not let his credit to be ruined and he will do whatever he needs to do. and of course he repets what she said.

GUYS!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRR WHAT SHOULD I DO WITH THESE PEOPLE?????

2. Turf Terror

Turf Terror LawnSite Member

Put them in for collections, then...write them off.
    You'll be better off without customers like that.

3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

free work to get work.... never, that was your warning sign right there.....

4. lawn

you right, I learned from my mistakes.

5. lawn

I guess I have to do that. I hope I have a good case.

6. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I would have to have something in writting or a verbal YES from a customer before I did any work for them. Who's to say your letter you sent out didnt get lost in the mail, misplaced, never read etc etc etc. Next year enclose self addressed stamped envelopes and a service agreement so they can respond with exactly what they want done. If you dont hear from them then follow up with a phone call. JMO

"At the beginning of this year I sent all my customers and them, a beginning of the season letter asking them tomark what services they want and to mail it back to me otherwise I will assume that everything will be same as last year. THEY DID NOT RESPONDED.So I started working for them as usual."

7. lawn

That's is a good advise. As a matter of fact I just was looking at my phone call records and I did called them twice, and I did see her on 4/17/07 face to face and she did not say anything to me.
    On the other hand, if you have a landscaper and hire someone else, don't you call your previous one to cancel?
    Didn't you see that your house was taking care?
    Didn't you see me and hear from me a couple of times?
    Why didn't theycall me back? I attempt many times and many ways to get in touch with them.
    The called back when they saw the bill uh? interesting

8. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

You and I both know they were well aware of your services. I would sit down and write everything out. When you called them, when you spoke to them, when you did the work, when you billed them. Send them a final notice. Pay by this date or see you in court.

9. lawn

That is exactly what I am doing ;)

10. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

Good for you

It truly sucks that people try to screw you over but thy always do. Well most of the time any way

Good luck with it all