1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What a Trash Find!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LAWNS AND MOWER, May 13, 2002.

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Was going to the grocery store yesterday morning. Decided to take a backstreet to check out one of my accounts. Well, I pass a house with a LawnBoy mower beside the road with a sign on the handle. I do a double take, slam my van in reverse, and noticed the sign said "FREE-- PLEASE TAKE". My first reaction is 'where's the camera at?' I must be on Candid Camera. This mower was in mint condition. Self-propelled, sharp blade, full tank of gas. Needless to say, I loaded this trash find in the van, bring it home, and started it up on the second pull!!! I'm not fond of Lawnboys, but I'll be sure to drive by this house more often!!

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

some times u just have that kinda day.:)
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I found 10 bucks last week laying in the road.
  4. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

And I assume you attempted to find the owner? ;)
  5. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

I picked up a new 2 acre lawn this spring and, I swear, every time I mow it the young lady who lives next door comes out of the garage on a new John Deere riding mower and proceeds to 'mow' her lawn...in short shorts and bikini top. :D

What's really funny about this is I was at this new account saturday and this happened AGAIN...and her lawn was already cut! She was pretending to mow the lawn...which was already less than 2" high. Nothing but AIR coming from the discharge chute! What a hoot!

Imagine a scantly-clad Cameron Diaz poking along and bouncing up and down on a L-series Deere and you'll get the picture.

She must really love that tractor.... ;)

...and yeah, I consider this a "bonus" find! :laugh:

Still, I think the nice 1978 Cub Cadet 1000 (w/ a 44A rotary mowing deck) that was given to me last year by an old man was my favorite find....I MUST be getting old. :eek:
  6. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

...but what you didn't notice was the neighbor hood delinquents that had placed the sign on the guy's new mower while he went back to the garage to get gas...:D
  7. musselman

musselman LawnSite Senior Member
    from utah

We had a big wind storm here last week as Im mowing one of my better account a couple large tumble weeds were caught in the corner (Fence) I was mad I had to get off the walker to to do the extra 3 minutes of work and throw the weeds over the fence (into a big weed field) and what do I find a five dollar bill....think I would rather watch the girl on the JD...but ill take the 5 bucks

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

This did cross my mind, but it was 9am sunday morning when I rescued this poor lonely mower and plus the yard was just mowed the previous day. My theory is that they had a yard sale on sat and couldn't unload this mower so instead of hauling it with them to where ever they are moving to, they just decided to get rid of it. I'm tempted to find out who lives at this house and give them a call to ask why they unloaded the mower.

9. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Last week a customer asked me to dispose of her old mower- a Toro self-propelled 3 speed with BBC and the 6hp GTS OHV engine. No problem. Next stop just put some gas in it and it sure as heck "GTS"'d on the first pull. This was a 700 mower when it was new in 89. And it still looks like new---the type that was always washed after every use, new tires every season etc.