What A Year!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mike Blevins, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I just noticed a few trees starting to turn. I have definately not had the year I was expecting. I guess in this part of the country no one has due to the drought conditions. I have a feeling that we are going to be seeing a few good snows this year. It amazes me that how a few weeks of hot weather and no rain could cost someone so much money.

2. fergman

fergman LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

yup its hot and dry for sure. what is the name of your company? ive heard your name before at abingdon mower but i cant remember exactly who you are:confused: :waving:

3. fergman

fergman LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

where did you get your scags? boones creek outdoor or lebanon equipment?

im gonna have to try a scag and see how it is compared to the ultracuts i got. you mow all around me i guess. i mow from marion to kingsport have over a hundred yards and it would be nice to have another truck running so i dont have to work approximately 100 hours a week or more. i already have 2 60"exmarks 28efi and a 31horse but i need a 18 or 20 foot trailer so i can haul a walkbehind and two z-turns on both trailers. the triton decks with the update kit still are pathetic i think. but you say u like the scags better than the exmark then i gotta try one 4 a few days and see what happens:drinkup:

4. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

Man you just don't know how bad it really is until you come down this way. We have been in the upper 90's for the last 25 days, with 12 of those days including today being over a 100. Oh, and not to mention that we are behind 20 inches on rain this year, with about a trace of rain over the last 30 days....Just about all the last with a few exceptions have gone dormant, and leaves are falling off trees like its Nov. All my flower planting with a few exceptions are all but fried...or baked I should say....I have 3 commercial accounts that I took up the flower today.....they were just starting to look really bad.

5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

It has been really dry this year and browning the grass out really easily. Its surprising though that some lawns (even non irrigated lawns) are still ready to be cut week after week. Some of the trees are dropping leaves but for the most part, I think this 3 days of rain we just got should keep it week to week till the end of the season. Then I'll be ready for the snow!!!

6. Americal Vet

Americal Vet LawnSite Senior Member

Dang, I feel for you guys because it's been the same here. That is until this past Monday, over about a 30 hour period we had more than 10" of rain. It has greened things up very nice. It had been almost 30 days without any rain to speak of and triple digit temps.

I've got a 35k sf yard to put in tomorrow, and then it looks like I will be mowing all weekend on two commercials. I sincerely hope you guys get some rain.

7. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

i just said the same thing today, trees are turning! we, on the other hand, have had a great year, lawns really didnt slow enough to skip much more than a single week. last year on the other hand, we skipped many for a month at a time. what come around goes around i guess. i only had 2 plowable storms last year too. hopefully a busy winter will turn this year profitable in a full swing.

8. Tomt

Tomt LawnSite Member

I guess I don't have so bad. Spring was dry, but in July lots of rain and now HOT= grass growing well. Have picked just enough customers to fill some holes in schedule. Hope we don't have any Aug-Sept. hurricanes or $$$ will suffer. Hope you guys get the needed rain soon.

9. Americal Vet

Americal Vet LawnSite Senior Member

I told myself that I was not gonna mess with plowing this year, but now it looks like I'll have to so I can pay off a new mower.

10. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

You guys are lucky....We have only serviced 30 lawns this week....thats two crews....we have been doing a lot of hedge and shrub trimming, and other misc things, but not much mowing at all....We would be well over a hundred accounts in the bank by now....its been bad, but really just got worse over the last 30 days....irrigated accounts are finally starting to show signs....all my commcials are hurting....and most areas I have only have one day a week watering....with some with no watering days...If you look at any weather report, it shows that we are getting it the worse in my area....almost like the desert this year.....Hopefully next week will bring relief, but not much hope....