what about ford 250 for new users

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Heller Landscaping, Jul 11, 2002.

1. Heller Landscaping

Heller Landscaping LawnSite Member

i want to know if a ford 250 is overkill for a 6x12 enclosed trailer with 2 48" w\b and 2 21" w\b and all other misc. tools. i also haul all grass and debris. thanks :)
  2. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I don't think that is overkill at all. The 250 is a worktruck, and it is made for workin. I may come with a trans cooler, and will have other parts designed to haul loads. If I were you, I would look to a 350 4x4. You get a solid front axle only in the 350 4x4. They are easier to align, and cheaper then adding front springs. This may only be an issue if you get a diesel, or intend to plow with it.

Have fun shopping
  3. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

NO!! go for it man it will do all you whant and you can still do more with it !!!! all so look at chevy 2500 sweet trucks thats what im geting in the fall
  4. Heller Landscaping

Heller Landscaping LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replys I was told by some that a 150 would do it but i did not think it would cut it.
    when I do something I like to do it right the first time not wish i had. thanks a lot.
  5. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I made that mistake when I started.

The F150 barely has enough brakes and springs for its own weight. F150 would be OK if you did not intend to tow.

Never, never bother with anything less than a heavy, 3/4 ton truck.

Avoid Ford and Dodge.

What does that leave? You guessed it.

____/ /_____
    / /
    /____ _____/

Need I say more?

6. Chuck Sinclair

Chuck Sinclair LawnSite Senior Member

If your going to buy a truck get the 250 you won't be sorry!
  7. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

8. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

You can never have too much truck. I agree with Ken (well, at least on his 1st point :) ). It isn't the moving forward that is all that critical, it's the stopping...and the F-250 will do a better job.

I drive a 2001 F-250 Crew Cab PSD. I bought it October 2001 and just turned 10,000 miles on it (I am part time and drive my beater to my fulltime job).

Ken: I am not necessarily brand loyal, I drove Ford, Dodge and Chevy. I loved the Dodge HO Cummins 6 speed. Wife said, "Yes you can get a new truck, but 1) it must be a crew cab and 2) its gotta last you 15 years". That left the Dodge out (no real crew cab) and cinched it for the diesel (longevity). I liked the Chevy, but could only afford the gasser (it was the 1st year of the Duramax and, at least the Duramax's on the dealer lot, were all dressed out at above $40,000). Also, my wife is barely 5' tall, so she didn't like the way that she sat lower in the Chevy than in the Ford.

As far as lasting 15 years, I have a plan...I have 9 year old twin daughters. In 7 years when they are ready to drive, I will tell my wife, "Gee, dear, we want them to be safe, don't we ? I think they should have a big vehicle...so, they can have my truck !" Then I will order my F-450 Crew Cab with the landscape bed. :)
  9. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

250 definately NOT overkill

350 srw would be sweet, too, bit more $ but nothing major.

150 pushing your luck.

to do it right, go at least 3/4 ton. and maybe bigger enclosed.

we use open trailers and handles always overhang the trailer, can't do that in an enclosed. you'll be glad you have the room
  10. PrimeGreen Lawn

PrimeGreen Lawn LawnSite Member

I use two (2) Y2k F350 PSD's. One has over 90K on it, the other has 110K. Both plow snow, and each pulls a heavily loaded 22' and 20' enclosed trailers. Along with 3-4 yards dirt (heavy), The one with 90K also has an aftermarket turbo, chip, pcm work, 5" exhaust, straight piped....,light bar, chrome step bars, police scanner, CB, VHF, radios,switch harness for the plow lights, light bar, siren, strobes in the corner markers front and rear, exhaust brake, and 33" Kelly Mud Terrain tires. Yes I know I don't need all that, but it's also my daily driver and yes, I volunteer for the local fire department. I will get a pic in here as soon as I can...