1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what about invisible dog fences

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sharpcut, Feb 15, 2003.

1. sharpcut

sharpcut LawnSite Member
    from ohio

I've been reading the thread on the cable lines not being buried and i have ran into that as well on a couple of occasions.
    but what i hate more is customers who get the invisible fence in the middle of the summer and those white flags are in there yards for the next season and a half !! what do you guys do with them do you pull them and put them back????I've been mowing in around them the best i can , usually the customer loses at least one per cut hehe .
  2. John from OH

John from OH LawnSite Member

We equip our mowing crew with a paint gun. A quick spot of paint at each flag will mark them for about 3 weeks. (The paint isn' t really visible unless you are right on top of it.) Then they pull the flags, mow, and reinstall the flags. Usually this takes just a few minutes each time. If the client is good at training the dog, they flags will be gone in short order. If its a huge lawn, or the flags stay around for an unreasonable length of time, we will talk to the client about the extra cost for this service.
  3. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea, those flaggs are a pain in the *****. Most of the time I just get as close as I can to them. Most are placed far enough apart so mowers with fit between them but the ones next to fences and stuff suck. The home owners leave them up untill their dogs are trained that they shouldnt pass that piont of zap!. Most of the time only a week or two unless they have a realy dumb dog. More than once, I charged $5.00 extra for the extra time and labor, but that was when they were next to obsticles and I couldnt go around them or anything. Most homeowners understand that it creates dificulty in mowing and dont gripe about a few extra dollars. I always continue to do a good job though, just add things like that to their bill.
  4. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I will agree that at least one gets lost every mow, that is, after they have been up for 4-5 months. I try to get the mower as close to them until they remove them or by accediently cutting them when mowing.:D
  5. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have also had my bad experiences with dog fences. The first couple of weeks I trim neatly around each flag, making sure not to harm a single one. After about a month, if they are still up, and they always are:angry: , I cut around them the best I can with the WBs. Then each week we end up chopping up more and more until they are eventually gone. I have had several customers with dog fences, no one ever removes them themselves.

We also aerated one once. A neighbor of a aeration customer had their dog fence part way in my customers yard. There were no flags and we aerated a section of it along with the lawn. The neighbor was actually fine with it. She said the fence didn't work for crap anyway.
  6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

"We equip our mowing crew with a paint gun."

Now that is a great idea and when the crew gets bored they can shoot each other. Better yet the crew chief can tag the slackers in the ***** if they don't get moving. Very creative.
    Truthfully though I like it.
  7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I leave the flags in the ground. I'll just go around them. I had one customer that put a system in theirselves. They had the wire going up the side of the fence. I guess they thought it would be easier to run the wire along the fence , than bury it. I cut it off while trimming.
  8. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

I like the paint gun idea....Good idea....

I have an invisible fence in my own lawn.. put it in myself.....
    I found the easiest way around the flags for the 2 weeks that any were in the yard was to mow near them, then just move them over a few inches.... doesn't make a difference in the training.... trust me.. after the 1st Zap! the flags are a mere REMINDER to the dog..... they are not needed at all after approx. 2 weeks (had one dog that was OK with boundary in 4 days)

After a couple weeks, why not offer to remove them for client.... they shouldn't need them anymore, and probably just haven't gotten around to it.... This way everyone benefits.
  9. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive had my share of invisible fences, and i think that my system is the least time consuming of them all. The first thing i do, is i go along the outside edge of all the flags. When i get to where i started, i turn, and follow the inside of the flags. I am usually able to nudge up against them to eliminate any triming. After that, i start mowing as usual, and when in a stripe, i treat the flags as a tree or other obstacle. It works for me since i have about 5" of trim offset on my mower.
  10. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

I have a invisible fence as do several of my customers. In my instillation instructions the manufacture referred to the flags as visual reinforcement of the boundary and recommended that after 2 weeks the owner should begin a program of removal of 1/3rd of the flags each week. All of my customers have received similar instructions from their commercial installers. I also, when mowing, get as close to the flags as possible, then move the flags several inches and complete the mow. I talk to the homeowner about flag removal and offer to do it for them. It works. Now aeration is another story. Better have a wire finder.