What about lawn sweepers?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cliplawn, Oct 25, 2006.

1. cliplawn

cliplawn LawnSite Member

Are they good for fall clean up and leaf removal?

2. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

Yes. Overall, it's one of the most overlooked spring/fall cleanup tools on lawnsite(as far as I can see).

Imo we don't understand how anyone could do without :dizzy:

3. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Blowers + mowers > Lawnsweepers. There goood for the home owner but there just to ineffecient for us to use.

4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

What kind of sweeper are you talking about? I have been contemplating picking up one of the Toro lawn sweepers for our commercial accounts.

5. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Sweepers kick azz:cool2: ...I recommend them:weightlifter: ...

6. cliplawn

cliplawn LawnSite Member

You pull it behind your mower and it sweeps debris into a basket that will dump. My questions are: will it pick up leaves and twigs? Looks to me like you would have to dump frequently. Also, is the bagger prone to tear up?

7. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Ive only used the sweepers 2 times this year pulled behind a cub cadet and it worked wonders compared to blowing leaves and raking or whatever. It saved me about 8 hours of raking this year after I dethatched and it picks up leaves great. I just set my path up to make about 3 or 4 sweeps of the yard and then dumped in basically the same spot everytime. I was borrowing from a friend but if I had a rider instead of my WB I would definately get one, even if its a cheapo I really think they can save time.

8. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Anybody know how much volume of debris they hold before they have to be dumped?

I'll consider anything to make cleanups easier.

9. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

About a full size(large) garbage bag. We use the Husky model and it's tough as nails. We've banged them against trees, gone into 2' high grass to get the garbage out and it's way faster than raking(10times) and yeah, it's a little known secret... believe me, it's saved us thousands in labor on large properties. It's not really made for residential. Mostly for acreages and contractors. That's what my dealer tells me and I believe him. :waving:

10. TGK

TGK LawnSite Member

Has anyone picked up Acorns with a sweeper?