We hope we are feeding the beneficial microbes, when we spread molasses/sugar on the lawn. When we spread high volume water soluable N onto a soil; are we infact feeding the disease microbes? (As in the case of, 'Brown Patch', for exa.) We know that many other bacteria/fungi use N in their metabolism as well. Could it be that high N allows certain disease fungi to become 'so well fed and strong', that they are able to eat more than just dead tissue, but are able to overcome the defenses of living tissue as well? Especially when the living tissue was previously weakened? Of course all bacteria/fungi love water.