1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What about the Middle Class

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kinglin, Jun 10, 2008.

1. kinglin

kinglin LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

It seems that the large majority of members on here only mow for the wealthy with the large lawns. Maybe I'm wrong. Do you guys not mow the typical middle class subdivision lawns?

2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

typical middle class ????

I thought Bush took care of that ...............

3. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

i cut many for the middle class, good people. in my mind theyre easier to deal w/ than the wealthy.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Over 80% of the lawn in our city of a million are middle class and below and yes we make money off those also. Much easier to string togethe a bunch of them in a tight area.

5. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I would rather do my work for middle class folks all day long. Rich folks tend to be picky, snotty and just plain rude because they think their $hit don't stink. To them, money is power. Not all but some. Most middle class folks tend to realize just what it takes to mow their own lawn so they don't complain about much if anything as they already know the work involved to make it look as good as it does. Some are tight with their money, some are more then willing (and thankful that it's getting done and looking so nice) to pay to have the lawn mowed.

6. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

Most of my customers have less expensive home then me. They are just people who can't physically do the work themselves. Not a single one of my customers is rich. I had some high end places and they always treated you like crap. They think of you as their personal Toby. I have good social relations with my current customers because were all on the same level. My biggest problem with all that is I can't leave right away when I'm done because always want to talk.

7. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Exactly, the hard working "middle class" are the best by far and comprise of my best clients. That being said I have several clients in million dollar homes and they are not by any means wealthy. Most have less expendable cash than the people in 500K homes. Many clients in "wealthy" homes drive 30K vehicles and the ones in 500K homes have 500 series Mercedes. A lot of ones that truly do have money and show it expect the "lawn boy" to also be the garbage man, pool guy, nanny, and handyman. I have no problem with this if the price is right, but a few expect all this just because they have allowed you the privilege of servicing their property. Middle class all the way.

8. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

I do not mow any large wealthy properties (they're too far away). I mow for middle and working class.

9. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i do all my mowing for middle class

10. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

This is probably true of most any city or urban / suburban locale !!