1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what about the rain?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by slikrick, Feb 25, 2004.

1. slikrick

slikrick LawnSite Member
    from FL

down here in Florida, as it is doing right now and yesterday, it rains quite a bit and sporadically. How do you stay in business and/or stay loyal to your customers? Can you still mow in the rain w/ no lightning? what kind of effect does that have on your equipment and the cut of the lawn? Just wondering what you all do.

hate the rain :blob2:
  2. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Rick, I feel your pain. The season has just kicked off and It has rained all day everyday for the last two weeks. Not a big deal right now as the mowing is at a minimum but sure makes the hedges and beds a messy endeavor. During the summer monthes we usually will have a shower every afternoon. No big deal as we are on sand. Wait 15 minutes after it is over and mow to yor hearts content. Only real bad thing is that the humidity climbs right off the meter.
  3. MP350

MP350 LawnSite Member

The only way I won't mow is lightening, but it sure is hard to blow off the driveways when it's wet. When it's raining hard I just sit in my trailer and wait for it to lighten up. But it isn'tany fun in the rain, just the price of living in Fl, but it sure beats snow & ice.
  4. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

You want rain, come the the NW. Our rainy season starts about mid-October and doesn't stop until June. Sure, some days are worse than others but if it's just a stray shower we wait it out and start back to work when it clears up. The saying in these parts is "if you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes".
  5. slikrick

slikrick LawnSite Member
    from FL

so what you all are saying is that your clients still pay you for the month even if you cant mow their yards? and the equiptment runs fine in the rain or wet and the grass still cuts nice?
  6. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

Clients still pay (annual agreements and they always get what they are paying for), equipment runs fine but mowers clog and the quality of cut is reduced but what ya gonna do? The grass has got to be cut.
  7. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

What they are saying is that if you have a contract for once per week mowing then they get once per week mowing. Period.

We have had about 2 inches so far today but don't worry the dry season is just starting. If it is "normal" then it will last until the end of May here. I usually start cutting every week the first week of May.

The "showers" here drop an inch or so in the afternoons. Just take off the mulch plate and keep your blades sharp and you will be fine. Oh I cut in light rain but not a downpour. I don't want my clients to know just how dumb I really am. Pruning in rain is fine too. But if you push yourself to mow during downpours you will have a bad quality cut and get discouraged. Just plan your days and only do what you can handle.
  8. Bond's Lawn Keepers

Bond's Lawn Keepers LawnSite Member

I have contracts on my annual agreements but they all billed at the end of month. I billed them each month the times we mow their lawn. If it rains alot and i do the lawn once a month then they get billed for that time. (DO NOT BILLED THEM EXTRA WORK THAT IS NOT DONE) I don't like to mow in the rain or lightening. If you do good work then that is what they want. Call your customers and explain to them about the rain, they would understand. The mowers does a louzy job when the grass is real wet and it takes to long to clean up.
  9. Bond's Lawn Keepers

Bond's Lawn Keepers LawnSite Member

Another thing...enjoy the rain,,,rain is what makes the grass to grow...wait until this summer when the rain comes very little then you will love the rain.
  10. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

We just try to do the best we can when its raining of course the lawn is not going to look as good as when its dry but the work has to get done.If its to wet we just wait until the next day and hope it drys up a bit.But it does make a mess clogged mowers,muddy edges green concrete etc..