What about these tires?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ToroLandscaper, Feb 13, 2006.

1. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 52" Toro Zmaster and the tires on it ARE NOT cuttin it...they are killing me they slide down hills and the traction just SUCKS...so my question is do you think these tires http://www.tiresunlimited.com/images/carlisle_specialty/tru_power.jpg would be just entirely TOO agressive or do you think they would be ok?

I do some large slopes but then agian i do some delicate smaller yards...do you think i could get by with these tires if i was careful?

ANY ADVICE IS NEEDED AND APPRECIATED

2. Rev. Crabgrass

Rev. Crabgrass LawnSite Member

That is a pretty agressive tread. But if you look at Dixie Choppers factory tires on their riders it is simalar. See what some of the Dixie Owners say about their results. I myself would be careful on your delicate yards with that tire.

REV.

3. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Not even close to being like the tires on Dixie Choppers. The tires you are looking at will utterly destroy a lawn, especially if it is the least bit wet. If you were mowing pasteur's they would be fine but not for lawns.

4. ToroLandscaper

What tires come on Dixie Choppers?

Keep the comments coming!

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, you will find you will have VERY mixed reviews on any tire you ask about.

However, I can tell you right up front... that specific tire is a very stiff tire and a very hard rubber compound. I can also hook you up with another member with a 52" Toro that put almost that exact tire on his machine. His are the Carslile Super Lugs, which is probably what you would have to step up to in order to get the right size. Basically the same tire.

They make a MUCH SOFTER tire in that style called the AT101.
    I'm considering them also, but I'm getting mixed reviews.
    The traction is there, but some say they are hard on the turf.

6. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

Envy & I got into this discussion earlier. Carlisle tire produces a tire named Turf Tamer. The site is carlislietire.com. We've been using them for about 3 years on JD F725 and 1 year on JD 655, both 54" mowers

7. Envy Lawn Service

That is a tire I KNOW GETS TRACTION.

I have them on my John Deere utility and I ran them for a long time on race ATV's.
    They hook up and get bite in those applications.

Never tried them on a zero turn application, YET.

8. K&M Lawn Care

K&M Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I don't have any personal experience with them but having the same problem that you have, I have talked with alot of people from the area about it. One fellow told me they had someone working with them that had had those type tires on his machine and was quite impressed with he said it could do. And from what I have heard they aren't any worse at tearing up yards once you get used to them and learn how to be gentle with them.

In the end though, what we ended up doing was buying a used gear drive walk behind. They are a natural on hills and I think are a safer option. On a ZTR if you lose control down a slope, getting off isn't always easy but with a walk behind you can always just let go.

At the end of last year we had put just as many hours on the walk behind as we had on the ZTR. That kinda surprised me since we only bought it for slopes and as a second mower on really large yards. Considering that it cost less than half as much as the ZTR (same size deck) it may well have been our best investment so far.

9. Envy Lawn Service

Oh, I guess I should point out that I am currently running turf masters and I have no problem with slopes on my mower. Some of those issues are inheirent to the design of an individual machine.

What I have a problem with is the nuisance when turning and navigating certain spots that are by no means steep. The places where you hang up and spin a tire when trying to turn. Or turning in spots where one rear tire has a lot more weight on it than the other... ect.

What I'm getting at is, yes traction tires my help some with slope issues.
    But it may not cure the slope handling that is inheirent of some machines.

Not to many do well to begin with ya know?

10. ToroLandscaper

Envy thanks for this info who makes that AT101 and the tires that i showed you did not have the size i would need (23" x 9.50-12")
    would a (23" x 10.5-12") fit on the rim?

The hard thing im having a problem with is finding a tire in the size i need with agressive tread...the more agressive the better becouse i could always slap the turf savers back on if worst came to worse

Any more help would be Awesome
    Thanks guys for the comments and keep them coming!