What about this Brand of trimmers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mc752000, Aug 4, 2003.

1. mc752000

mc752000 LawnSite Member

So what about the ryobi trimmers? Are they good are just like any other cheap ones last a bit then need a new one. Let me know what you guys think. Just curious!! That was my first trimmer lasted a couple of years, still have it and use it every once in awhile but was wandering what you professionals thought.

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

when i first started i bought a homelite. that thing lasted me 3 years some how. I was amazed at it. I just retired it last week cause the curved shaft was killing my back. I picked up a Shindaiwa T-230 straight shaft. it's more powerful, much better balanced, and i can get under hedges, picnic tables, etc with it.

I'm not really sure how that homelite lasted me so long, but it did, however there isn't anything like a piece of commercial equipment. investing $255 for a commercial trimmer is well worth it over risking $99 on a homeowner level and risking it.

3. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Waste of money, but commercial equipment.

4. mountain air

mountain air LawnSite Member
    from alberta

forget about the rest just get kawasaki it is a wonderful machine

5. drobson

drobson LawnSite Member

Ryobi is the same as craftsman. In fact Ryobi makes many of the craftsman tools. Along with Poulan and Murray. That should pretty much sum it up.

6. Red Dwarf

Red Dwarf LawnSite Member

bought a Ryobi a few years ago to use as a brush cutter. Works ok for that, but it just doesn't have the power or RPM needed for good string trim work. It's also very heavy

7. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

THe Shindiawa (I think I spelled that right) T230.....is a great piece on equipment.....

Derek

8. NYRookie

NYRookie LawnSite Member

I bought a Ryobi when I first started. It was heavy and doggy. It had the split shaft so I had the trimmer, edger and blower. I have echo's now with no complaints. Think the Ryobi is in my shed somewhere if you want it.:D

9. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

i used all shindaiwa stuff for years, no problem except they were stolen, i replaced them with kawasaki trimmers and that was the best move i made. they are extremely light with more power than the shin stuff i used. i did buy the new shindaiwa t2500 a month ago, i dont like it as good as the kawasakis, im willin to take a little hit on it if anyone wants it.

10. Haley Lawn Care

Haley Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from NC

I had a Roybi with a trimmer and edger attachment. Burned up in about 2 months. Had Echo and Lesco and they are good. However Kawasaki is the best i have used. Light and runs quiet.

David:)