1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What advertising brings you the best results?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by HighGrass, Sep 28, 2003.

What form of advertising works best for you?

Poll closed Nov 27, 2003.
  1. Door Hang Tags

3 vote(s)
  2. Flyers left at house or in mail box

3 vote(s)
  3. Newspaper Classified

3 vote(s)
  4. Word of mouth referrals

13 vote(s)
  1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Which form of advertising brings you the best results. Please take the POLL as well as list any comments. THANKS:blob3:
  2. sod girl

sod girl LawnSite Member
    from south

I find that flyers has the biggest bang for the buck.
  3. turkp15

turkp15 LawnSite Member

I've got a good response on fliers also flier inserts in newspaper.
    G & J Lawns
  4. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

you will find out that with referalls, you already have your foot in the door and they want you. You will find in these situations that you can bid higher and they will accept your bid. Best thing is i can be selecitve of where i accept clients and it costs me one free cutting(my reward to the referee)
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

6. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

referrals keep us busy...
  7. smithf36

smithf36 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

We have found that a few things work very well.
    1. Referral organizations like BNI, etc. get us a ton of work and they are prequalified - we don't really have the sell our company, just the job.
    2. Very good looking trucks w/ quality signage on them. These have been great for "top of mind" advertising. The lettering on our trucks look much like the PROGRESSIVE auto insurance vehicles where it is in very large letters.
    3. Yard signs - large and small depending on where you are using them. These have produced several jobs from neighbors. We use small corrigated signs in areas that are small or the speed limit is 25 mph or less. We also have two larger sizes and we use them where they look right.

A combination of those three along with a good solid reputation to back you up, will go a long way. It has for us.

We also have found which yellow pages book has worked the best and used decent sized ads to generate calls, but the above three are much more solid and less expensive. I believe however that you should have at least a line listing in the phone books for reference only.

Joe Smith
    Earthscapes, Inc.
  8. stangman

stangman LawnSite Member

Anybody have any luck w/ placing an ad in the yellow pages? Most of my work has come from fliers w/ about 25% coming from word of mouth.
  9. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Referrals without a doubt are the best for our business.
    Hanging something on someone's door may look nice to them, but hearing it recommended from someone else who is happy carries a lot more worth to it.
    Aside from that, door hangers have brought the most canvass type response.
    One big reason, and I get compliments on them all the time, is how professional they look. I went with the two color polyvinyl double sided ones, and it paid off.
    Numerous people say they looked a lot more professional than the other paper ones they got on their door, so figured our company was a lot more professional too.
    Hope this helps!
  10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Newspaper ads work well for me with "add on services", but not for mowing.....too spread out. Yellowpages work so-so for ad on services, but for mowing still spread out.

Ads in the newspaper's service directory also works best when you list ALL or MOST your services.....as true with the yellowpages. I have been told many times that somebody called me because they seen that I do.....dethatching, aerating....whatever it is.