1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What aerator to use in NC red clay?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by SnoMan97, Feb 23, 2006.

1. SnoMan97

SnoMan97 LawnSite Member

I am a new resident to Lincoln County NC. Our soil is a hard red clay. If I use a plug aerator, will the plugs disappear over time? Or should I use a spike aerator and not pull up plugs at all.
    I also plan on overseeding. Should I use a slice seeder or just spread the seed after aerating, then cover with straw.
    Thanks in advance for any advise.
  2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldn't use anything but a core aerator. Spiking holes does nothing to relieve compaction. Yes, the cores will break up over time. As for the reseeding after aerating, a slit seeder or at least getting the surface scraped up good would be best. You don't want a good rain washing your seed down the yard before it gets a chance to root. And yes, wheatstraw it but don't bury it. Too many people think drowning the yard with straw is the way to go. All that does is make a big mess.

Try to do it when it's been wet awhile. We both know how hard that clay is when it's dry.