What am I doing wrong here?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by QualityLawnCare4u, Apr 6, 2006.

1. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Had 2 interesting conversations this morning. Ran into a gal I went to school with and have not seen in years (man was she hot) and when she found out that I did lawns she told me " We had a hard time finding anyone to do mine and my mothers yard, we finally ran a guy down in a grocery store parking lot and asked him to do ours". I then ran into the owner of the biggest lawn service in my area at a car dealership and he told me that he and another LCO (2nd biggest) were now turning away biz because they were full. He then took my card and said he would start sending me anymore that came in. Now I have advertised, my truck has signs and I stay very visible and have a great reputation. I will say the fliers I done were a complete waste of time. What can I do for more exposure? I even advertised on the radio few weeks back with no results. I have nice equipent and vehicle that stays clean, I dress decent, and Im good looking too:)laugh: ) what am I missing here short of begging?

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think you're missing anything at all Danny other than the fact you should try more for referrals and networking with other companies from now on. We haven't advertised ever in 13 years and all of our new work is by referral only. BTW, a referral customer is the easiest sell of them all by a long shot IMO.

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Try specializing, You mow lawns then advertise as a lawn mowing company that only mows lawns, we do 1 thing and were the best at it.

Don't trim prune bushes or clean gutters just mow lawns.

Macco is not known for there great body work just there paint jobs
    Micky dees is know as a great restaurant just a fast food
    but they both started out specializing in 1 thing

4. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp LawnSite Member

Besides referrals you just need to know people to get some new in's. I new the engineer of a hotel which in turn got me that hotel and 4 others for both land care and snow removal. I just kept coming from there. Search your family tree and see who u know or might know, eventually it will come.

Ken

5. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

That's a tough question. It may be just a matter of timing, I know it sounds crazy but my growth has always come in spurts. Yesterday I picked up 4 mowing clients, that's more than in the last 2 weeks. If you do good work at a fair price you will keep building. It just takes time. Try giving bids to all the neighbors of the properties you currently service. If your work is good, you should pick a few up.
    Keep at it. I am just getting calls now from bids, flyers and ads I ran in Feb.

6. QualityLawnCare4u

All good advice. Only thing that bothers me is Im not a newbie in my area, been at it for almost 9 years now so I should be well established. I also do shrubs but do not advertise that as it is so hard on my old body and here dont want to pay anything for it. Just went to the deversion center to see about getting some help since several big lco here use them and I will take on more big jobs.

7. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

hey quality, not to pick on you, but i have never seen your outfit. i look hard at every truck and trailer that passes. you would think in a community as small as our's i would have seen you at least once. i had a kid come by the house monday and leave a flyer with the wife. mows for $25 and hedges for $23 and up. i thought to myself "scrub." he told my wife that he knew that i had a ztr, but that he would be glad to help with the yard if i ever needed him. he lives two doors down. i will have to give him some credit:his flyer said he was trying to raise money to attend summer camp. i'm sure i will see him on his dad's craftsman driving down the street, going to do someone's yard.

8. QualityLawnCare4u

Nmurph, dont know what to say as I have been in Blacshear and Waycross for many years. I will say that I have a LOT better luck in Waycross than Pierce. I have never kept a yard for over 4 months in Pierce brefore one of these 25 dollar folks takes them from me so I try to stay away from Blackshear or at least in the city limits. You want to see my rig (and I will put a set of hedge clippers in your hand to:laugh: ) Im going to be out College ave. on Pinehurst the next few afternoons doing a shrub job for another whiner/moaner that if its more than 25 bucks will complain. I did another yard on college ave. for one of the richest folks in Pierce for a short while until he found someone cheap. He used to own a hardware store and he is one tight wad. I drive a beige Tundra with a red trailor and have my signs on the side of it.

9. lawnsbyrj

lawnsbyrj LawnSite Member

I always fall on work and tehn cant buy it if i need it , i guess that is the breaks