1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by dapeoplesbarber, Aug 4, 2007.

1. dapeoplesbarber

dapeoplesbarber LawnSite Member

Ok so I just started out like a month ago to really try and get some accts. I have been called about 5 times went gave an estimate and then sent a letter telling them that I would offer a 10% discount on the 1st month and no response no 1 has called back? One lady told me I was to much I mean it was a small yard about a 20X20 in the front and about 15 mins of weedeating in the back....I said $35.00 she said she pays a guy $15.00 and if I would match theres no way to make $ that way I told her. What am I doing wrong and I over charging?
  2. rudeboy

rudeboy LawnSite Member

she had a low baller doing her yard so she was just a penny saver
    your price wasn't to high
  3. BLKSS

BLKSS LawnSite Member
    from Texas

i keep my prices starting at 35 some people just want it cut and really dont care how it looks so you have to be able to spot thoes people & feed them what they want to hear. if you think ur work is worth that then dont budge, if you cut 1 person a deal youll end up cutting everyone a deal. just stick to your guns, do excellent work and the clients will come.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I think it's funny how the brand new guys think they can waltz in with a bunch of equipment they've never used before, start quoting work they've never done before, without an existing clientele during the hottest part of the season, and expect to get paid the same as the guy who's been doing this crap for the past 5-20 years.

If you've got enough money in the bank that you can afford to sit at home watching tv in the a/c, then by all means.
    Otherwise you're looking at a bit of a rougher start, this stuff isn't as easy as it looks, and I'm not talking about the actual work.
  5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

before going into business you need to do research.

as I recall the government susgust that you need to be prepaired to NOT make a penny for 3 years.....
    that means have enoulf money to keep yourdelf going for upto 3 years.
    Not sure what type of advertising you have done. but you need to spend money to let people know WHAT YOU DO....
    NOT who you are.... belove me noone gives a crap who you are.
    they just want to know what you can do for me.
    I agree with the above. maybe he put it to you kind of rough.
    but it's rough out there.
    maybe starting in the middle of the season wasn't such a hot ideal in your area.
    again that's where your research needs to come into play.

Good Luck
  6. ferris_1972

ferris_1972 LawnSite Member

I have always been told that if you get all the jobs you bid on then you are priced too low. I shoot for 50-75% then I figure I am priced right.
  7. kevinlane

kevinlane LawnSite Senior Member

I only seem to get about 65% of the estimates I do. But I am so busy I don't even care. Once you get a few good accounts, then everyone will be wanting to get an estimate on the street. But you have to do nice work. Thats what I found out, I just started like 4 months ago.....and no I am not making anything yet. Gotta pay off my Exmark...lol. Just keep at it brutha, the customers will come. :gunsfirin stick to your guns like someone else said....

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

If you have not already done so, you should do a little research into what the 'going rate' is for mowing down there. For sure $15 a cut is too low, but hard to say if $35 is way above the going rate, or not. You need to be competitively priced at least to get things going. You may have just run into a bad streak of cheapskates for all you know.
  9. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

when you do set your rates, stick to your guns, dont drop your prices if they ask you to. it starts a horrible trend and they come to expect it with everthing you do for them. if they ask for a lower rate just tell them you cant, the costs of running the business are too hight
  10. DPAT

DPAT LawnSite Member

Look Dont Sweat Those Kind Of Customers. You Did The Right Thing. Just Stick To Your Price If They Dont Like It Tell Them To Have A Nice Day