What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, Sep 4, 2007.

1. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

I have two separate sytems with Rainbird 100 ASF 1" valves. They each have one valve that is seeping.

I replace the diaphragms and they still seeped. Replace the top half and they still seeped. I have looked for debris which would allow for seepage but I cannot see anything whatsoever.

These valves are new this summer and installed by us. If I take off the cap over the backflow part, I can see the seepage on these valves.

Both systems have 45 psi.

Thanks for the help, all you gurus.

John:dizzy:

2. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

A picture is worth a thousand words. A video link, a million words. And believe me, you'll get a million words from some of the "aqua gurus" here.

Where is the seepage? On the valve or downhill coming from a head?

If it's the valve, dry it off.... (to borrow a phrase) roll it it flour and look for the wet spot.

If it's a head seeping, and if it is lower than the valve then it could be low head drain drainage. You need a low head check valve. Some heads have them when you buy the head. some heads like a Hunter PGP you can add the check valve at the inlet.

3. jcom

I have not put in any pictures as I don't know how to do it. Do I use the attachments icon and then browse my computer for my digital photos?

The valve is leaking and going out to the zone. When I pull off the cover on the antisiphon part of the valve, it is definitely seeping by the diaphragm/solenoid part of the valve.

John

4. jcom

Here is my first photo upload try.
    DSC00523.jpg

DSC00523.jpg

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like you get to replace the valves, if diaphragm and bonnet replacements didn't help. Looks like you can unthread the vacuum breaker end of it, after you cut the outlet pipe.

Anyone ever try to stretch the spring in an old diaphragm valve that was having problems closing, or closing completely?

6. jcom

Thanks WB, but of course that is not what I wanted to hear. :)

I have limited experience with these valves. The diaphragms appear to be regular DV 100's.. Based on your opinion there must be a defect in the bottom end of these valves as to the tolerances allowed in relation to the diaphragms and bonnets.
    The only thing I did not change was the solenoid. Any possibility that there is any correlation here??

I flushed systems with top half removed but to no avail. I did not flush with bleed screw.

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I thought the solenoid was changed with the bonnet - a top end replacement. Try different solenoids, before giving up. As an aside, you might consider the Irritrol 2713APR antisiphon valves for future use. Callbacks unlikely.

8. jcom

My experience has been that the solenoids would either be full on or off. I have not had an instance where a solenoid would allow seepage. Hence, the not changing the solenoid. I can change whatever is necessary to solve the problem but I am wanting to follow the reason for the problem.

Gurus are priceless.

John

9. DVs have a history of weeping solenoids.

10. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

You think anyone would admit to that and risk a reaming? :nono: