What am I going to need?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bandrews57, Jan 3, 2006.

1. bandrews57

bandrews57 LawnSite Member

I am going to start a small lawn maintenance offering other home sevices as add-ons. I am in Southwest Florida. What type of insurance would I need. Since I am going to be mostly solo, will I need worker's comp for my now and then helper? Are there any certifications or special licenses I will need to invest in? What is the best entry level software that is available?

2. Landscape25

Landscape25 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Hi, there are no special licenses just occupational and then possibly one for individual municipalities. Your other home services may require licensing. I think for painting you have to be a contractor.
    I would check with an agent about the insurance. I don't think workers comp is required with a certain amount of employees. There is a thread about it I think.
    I am using Quickbooks Simple Start for my books. It is fairly easy and will do the job. You can not compare reports though. It is upgradeable. That was around $100.00.
    For your business name you need a fictitious name registration at sunbiz.org for 50.00 if you are not using your full name in your business name.