What am I in for ????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HB Lawn, Apr 22, 2007.

1. HB Lawn

HB Lawn LawnSite Member

I just got this one account yesterday and will be getting alot more in the weeks to come. My question is this. The grass is Zoysia (kind is unknown at this time, will be finding out on Monday when the construction office opens). Anyway, what am I in for with this grass?? All my accounts that I have now only have St. Augustine grass. These lawns will be somewhat small, so I'll be using a push mower on them. Any info will help greatly.

Thanks
    HB Lawn

2. SSS 18734

SSS 18734 LawnSite Member

It grows really slowly and is extremely thick. You can also cut it lower than most grasses, but you don't have to. I cut most of my zoysia yards around 2 - 2.5 inches.

3. David C.

David C. LawnSite Member

I've never cut Zosia grass until I moved here to Alabama----just never saw much of the stuff in south Louisiana and Mississippi---mainly St. Aug and Centipede

Nevertheless

1. Keep your blades sharp----you filet fish with a Filet knife---not a Butterknife!!! Same way with Zosia!! You make a pass over Zosia with a dull blade and it'll look like you just kinda sorta "hacked" and "wacked" at it!! --- may be so bad that the customer might wanna "Call the Cops" on ya!!!

2. Don't try to give the yard a "Crew Cut"---you don't want the lawn to look like Curly Howard's head!! Neither do you want it to look like Moe Fine's!!!! Cut the top 1/3 of the blade and you'll do fine!!!

4. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Actually porcubine brain, if too short & uneven... it would resemble Larry Fein's (Lois Feinberg's)head the most. Nyuk nyuk nyuk...... And it was Moe, Shemp & Curly Howard (the Horwitz brothers Moses, Shemp & Jerome)

Research your stooge trivia you knucklehead!!!

5. ED'S LAWNCARE

ED'S LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

Thick is an understatement I have one customer with it I call it hell house.

6. SoloSulkySurfer

SoloSulkySurfer LawnSite Member

Grows slow and up here in NJ seems to die off in the winter, but eventually comes back.

7. Mark in MD

Mark in MD LawnSite Senior Member

Much of the tiny debris will come out of the catcher's air holes. Be prepared to inhale a lot of dry dust. Squint a lot to keep it out of your eyes. Be prepared to empty your catcher often.

Charge a lot. When they ask why, explain that it's because their lawn is the most miserable lawn that you have.