1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What Am I in for?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cypresslawncare, Oct 26, 2004.

1. cypresslawncare

cypresslawncare LawnSite Member

I've decided to start doing lawns this coming year. I plan to put out door hangers for a good 100 hours in mid-February. Besides basic mowing, what else do I need to know how to do for an average account? I'm not very knowlegeable about lawncare. Where do I find out how to do these extra things (if any)? I need some extra money and figured I can make more doing lawns than at a dayjob. Two other questions I have are what do ya'll put in your "contracts" and how do I get licensed/what does the license cost (I'm in Texas)? Please pardon my rookiness.

2. cypresslawncare

Here let me make this question shorter. What else do you do througout the year besides just mow lawns.
    Thanks

3. LHSlawnman86

LHSlawnman86 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

my advice to you is to not do contracts in your first year. start off slow and see what you can do. definitly get a liscense and in some states you should get a peddlers permit so you can advertise as much as you want worry free.

4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Install mulch, trim hedges, aerating, overseeding, spring/fall clean ups, etc.
    These are most of the things that I do, others here offer more services that I'll let them list.

5. JustMowIt

JustMowIt LawnSite Senior Member

We are in the Dallas market & no license is required, unless you are installing irrigation or spraying. Some Cities have ordnances that require registration to put out flyers, but generally, do not put one where there is a no solicitation sign. I would suggest Just Mowing to keep it simple. Start flyers in Mid to late February, & be sure to answer the phone, not wait a day or so to return a VM only to learn someone else got the business. Be aware that Houston is a major dumping spot for the coyotes that are paid to bring in the Mexicans. We have compared wages with other Lawn companies & labor is cheaper in Houston, & there are more solo Mexican operators than normal mowing for $20.

Hope this helps
    MJ
    Justmowing.com

6. cypresslawncare

good reply. thanks man!

7. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Actually you really need to go to work for someone else for at least a year and get some experience. While it ain't rocket science it does take product knowledge.

8. cypresslawncare

no way, down here if i did that i'd be working for minimum wage with a crew of illegals! i'll just learn on a trial/error basis.

9. oneandonlyjojo

oneandonlyjojo LawnSite Member
    from NY

some people dont like trial and error practice on your lawn and maybe relatives if they let u. since they will be hiring u for the first time they will be very picky to make sure u do a good job. stick to the site and ask anything you want and it will be answered.