1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What am I missing WRT Wright Stander

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by XterraJohn, Jun 11, 2008.

1. XterraJohn

XterraJohn LawnSite Member

My 36" gear-drive is wearing me out. I'm think of either replacing it with a hydro walk-behind or a 36" Wright Stander. The Stander is actually cheaper. Why isn't EVERYONE using one of these instead of a walk-behind?
  2. Big Wes

Big Wes LawnSite Member

I don't care for standers because you have to duck under trees and I found that a lot of dust blows up in your face from the front of the deck, at least it did on the one I demoed.

On the positive side, I like the fact that they don't take up much room on a trailer, and you can get more of them on it.
  3. Guzman Properties

Guzman Properties LawnSite Senior Member

I just picked up a 48" Wright Stander RH. I am very impressed with the machine, very very fast and leaves a great cut/lines. Comfortable ride although nothing compares to a sit down. Saves me room on my trailer, looking at purchasing a 36" to replace the WB as well.

CIMG0891 (Small).JPG
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We got the stander but ...plan to move back to WB due to cost of the unit. The new Snapper with dual hydro and adj deck is about half the price of the sentar. But we do like the sentar.
  5. XterraJohn

XterraJohn LawnSite Member

Has anyone else had problems with grass blowing back in your face from the deck? I have that problem with my 21" due to a gap between the discharge chute and the deck. I don't like it.
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

No...we have the outlet closed year round. But I never seen any mower that didn't have significant blow back when it gets dry and not much grass.
  7. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

A Stander wouldn't work on all my crazy hills. I'm stuck to 36" w/b's...
  8. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

That's what I want to know. By the time you look at a hydro walk with something other than pistol grips plus a velke, you're looking at the price of a sit down zero turn. I even see alot of the $4000 Toro 36" floating deck gear drives around here. After they bought the velke, they would be within $300 of a full hydro Stander. Now, I don't know if it's really easy to set the deck height on the $4000 Toros, I'm guessing it is. However, the Standers are 1000 times more productive than WBs.
  9. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

I am curious about the Wright's... do they have a mulch kit or can you mulch with them? Ed Hess, do you mulch with yours?

also, do they have a stripe roller available?
  10. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

They have a mulch kit. I don't know about a striping roller though... I doubt that.