What am I missing?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Integritylawncare, May 17, 2006.

1. Integritylawncare

Integritylawncare LawnSite Member

I have a 16 foot landscape trailer with a 4 foot ramp in the back. When I go to load and unload my wb it always seems to get hung up when the rear tires are on the ramp and the front tires on the deck of trailer. The hangup occurs on the bottom of the mower deck. Is there a technique I should use to eliminate this?

2. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

Is the deck raised up to the highest level when you're loading it up the ramp?

3. Joey bag a' donuts

Joey bag a' donuts LawnSite Member

Mine does the same thing...I have to pop a wheelliiee with my wb over where the ramp connects with the trailer.

4. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

You will have to raise the front of the mower (pop a wheelie) in order to get over the pitch of the gate.

5. MSS Mow

MSS Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

My mowers do the same as well. A pop-a-wheelie would work, but can be dangerous (but fun!)

Try hitting that spot at a slight angle. Sometimes that will angle the deck just enough on the side that hits to avoid catching. That's what works for me.

6. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

wheelie or longer gate or the two solutions I canthnk of.
    I always do a slight wheelie wiht my WB

7. Landscapes-r-us

Landscapes-r-us LawnSite Member

Same problem here.. I'm gonna try to put like a 3 or 4 inch pad on each side of the gate, so when it's down I'm hoping it will reduce the pitch a bit to make it not catch on the metal.. And the mower should easy hop the 3 or 4 inch raise..

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No offense but this is definitely a first year problem, lol I remember this one is very frustrating, what is catching is the blade bolt and once caught it is such a pain.

Always pop a wheelie, both coming off and on, you'll save yourself tons of headaches.

When unloading, at least with a Toro always unload it engine off so you can hit the T-bar as it comes over the edge and this pops the wheelie without the mower jerking forward. Then use the T-bar as a brake to keep it coming but instead of pulling back on the T-bar, push forward (hence why you need the engine off).

When loading, don't pop the wheelie from the start but ride it over the edge as if the ramp kept going is what I do, the whole machine ends up with the rear tires on the trailer and deck in the air. Once the whole machine is on the trailer, lower the front slowly (which is harder to do with heavier decks) to keep it from slamming down onto the boards.

9. Mac_Cool

Mac_Cool LawnSite Member

I'm surprised no one thought of this but just pop a wheelie.

10. Reliable Lawns

Reliable Lawns LawnSite Member

Let the air out of your trailer tires, this will lower the trailer by about 4 to 6 inches, plenty of room so the mower deck doesn't hit the ramp/trailer pitch.

Ok, sorry I couldn't help it on this one, pop a wheelie! LOL