What am I missing?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Shopkeeper, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Shopkeeper

Shopkeeper LawnSite Member

Well it's going to be my second year in business in 2007 and I am looking for a good 36 inch walk behind that I can use well into the future. I can't find any used mowers around my area that are in line with what I want so I have looked at buying new.

From what I've read on this forum it seems like the Quick 36 is a very solid mower. I was looking into this and some of the other brands, but the Quick 36 just screams at me so I have three questions.

---Would the Quick 36 be the best for me to leap into the walk-behind market with or is there a better choice?

---What are the differences between the Super Fox and the Mk.II Quick 36 mowers? I looked and I must have missed something.

---I was looking specifically at the Super Fox and Mk.II in order to save myself some money and because I was thinking that I didn't need the samurai or the super duty. Is this correct or do the Super Duty and Samurai provide something unique that would do me well for the extra $500-$700?

Links for reference:
    http://www.betteroutdoorproducts.com/index.asp?page=ProductDetails&Item=13BIE-36-A (Mk.II)

http://www.betteroutdoorproducts.com/index.asp?page=ProductDetails&Item=13BIM-36 (Super Fox)

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond!

~Shopkeeper

2. Shopkeeper

I guess I can't edit my thread so here is another question I've come up with..

---How do the prices on Quick 36 mowers compare to those of other brands?

3. zak406

zak406 LawnSite Bronze Member

what makes the super duty unique is it has a 16 horse power briggs engine compared to the 13 on the fox and the mark 2 and on the samuri (best buy) it has a kawisaki commercial engine 16 horse

4. Shopkeeper

Is it just the fact that it has a 16 hp kawisaki commercial engine that makes it the better buy or is there more?

If it is indeed just the engine how much difference does that extra 3 hp make?

5. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

While I don't own a 36" WB, I plan on buying a Quick 36 in the spring. I have several friends in this business that own them and are extremely pleased with the cut, quality, and handling.

6. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

although I have read and heard alot about Quick 36 mowers and there hydro drive unit they use, if you dont need a hydro unit there are several brands out there around the same price. The big Big difference is service. Toro, Scag, and others have excellent belt drive walk behind mowers in the same price range and almost all service dealers stock parts for name brand equipment and work on them on a regular basis. I guess the most important decision from a business aspect is service. When the mower breaks how easy is it to get parts for it and how fast will the service dept get it back up and running if they are not familiar with it ? Hydros are nice and have two Toro 52" hydro units now but I have used belt drive units before with no problems at all. For the price Quick 36 sound like a good deal but what about service in your area?

7. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

While service is a big issue being a business owner, I have found that when you buy quality stuff you have very little to do but maintenance. I have had my toro for 5 years and done nothing but oil and blades, although I am going to need to do belts this year. Almost everything on these mowers are easy access and can be worked on easily.
    From my understanding better outdoor products is quick with shipping the parts that you need, and belive me it takes my dealer time to get it from the distributor. Most every thing that breaks normally you can get at your local dealer and I have found, on other products, it is easier and faster to fix it yourself rather than go to your dealer.
    Good luck in your decision.

8. Shopkeeper

The "dealers" in my area are horrible and I don't trust any of them. One of 2 I've told the story of on the forum before; essentially they had no desire to help me and the other just has a bad feeling about it.

9. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Samuri It is a great machine In my opinion you cannot go wrong with better