What am I worth to you...

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by jfmx345, Jun 1, 2007.

1. jfmx345

jfmx345 LawnSite Member
    from PA

Everyone knows one of the hardest parts of business is finding and keeping good employees.

Here's the scenario...
    I apply to your company with these credentials...

ICPI/NCMA certified
    Commercial applicator for turf/ornamental,
    8yrs direct sales experience,
    3 years supervisory/management,
    Class A CDL,
    5 years experience in every aspect of Landscaping including installs, maintenance, and design,
    Positive attitude,
    great with people.

What do you pay me? How about benny's? The only training I would need would be on specific company policies.

Would you rather hire me, or start from scratch and train your own?

2. Nathan Robinson

Nathan Robinson LawnSite Senior Member
    from 47712

first question would be why arent you and it looks like you bounce alot or your just really old. I would say a base salary of $700.00 a week.

3. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

It depends what the company is looking for. I would love to hire a guy who can just go from the start and run a crew...but, remember in this industry it very "dog-eat dog" and a lot of companies just cant afford to hire expensive employees. Ive lost so many jobs by just a few bucks so a lot of it IMO, has to do with the size of the company, the direction they want to go with their business and specific things they do or dont do. Around here a foreman should make around 10-15 dollars/hr. With all of your credentials and experience why not go into business for yourself?

4. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

By the way where in PA are you? I'm in NWPA and my guys are making anywhere from $7/hr (brand new guy) to $9/hr plus bonuses just for mowing, and thats gonna have to change by the end of the year.

5. Nathan Robinson

Nathan Robinson LawnSite Senior Member
    from 47712

yea! what no bagger said!

6. jfmx345

jfmx345 LawnSite Member
    from PA

This is more of a survey question. I am in business for myself. What I was basically getting at is, good employees typically go into business for themselves. I was just wondering to what extent you would go to in order to keep an ideal employee.

nobagger- I'm just outside Harrisburg.

7. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

If everyhing you are saying is true, you would be worth $20hr to me. I would need to see credentials, and would interview you. But bottom line is, you get what you pay for. I don't agree with companies can't afford to pay high cost employees, I think they just don't want to. An employee as stated will more than pay for themselves within a good company. :)

8. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Firstly, you have alot of credentials, but depending on what my company is hiring for some of those credentials wouldn't be worth much. With those types of attributes I would say you would fit in as an operation manager and I would salary you at $45K/ year plus bonuses. If it were strictly a hardscape foreman position, maybe $20-$25/hr.........spray tech, $14-$17/hr.

Chris

9. Eric D

Eric D LawnSite Senior Member

Legally, a comment on age can get you a world of hurt these days when it comes to not hiring because of it.:nono:

10. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

When can you start?????