What am I worth?

Discussion in 'Employment' started by tropicallawn1, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Nope, not anywhere I know of anyway. You do whatever is necessary to get the job done on salary. I wish I only worked 55 hour/wk when I had a salaried job!

2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

The FLSA website is chock full of facts regarding labor laws. A salaried employee has no legal limit to the hours he can be required to work. A salaried person by definition has to be a high level position supervising at least two subordinate workers. Guys that try to salary regular crew members are asking for a lawsuit.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. tropicallawn1

tropicallawn1 LawnSite Member

Honestly I really don't mind the hours, as a previous owner I fully understand how salary works. And Michael, point well taken. The company I'm with employees around twenty and is absolutely ran better than most. I like the idea of working with a rapidly growing business than going with the VC's.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. M & L

M & L LawnSite Senior Member

Did I miss something???
    If the 11$ an hour math is right im payin my guy too much.

I pay him 12$ an hr.

He can complete any lawn maintenance service and knows the route.

However he cant drive truck and trailer combo and doesnt supervise.

So he doesnt even come close to what it sounds like you can do.

A friend of mine has a kid for 15$ an hr. Same thing but he can drive truck and trailer.

of course im in the ridiculous new england area

I cant even find good help for 10$ hr

every wants to start at 20$ with zero knowledge

Curious, why did you give up your own route?

5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

The only law is that a salaried employee has to at least make min wage.

6. CrimsonMaintenance

CrimsonMaintenance LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Supers are only worth what the company is willing to pay them. Keep in mind that $12/hr is quite different amounts in areas with different cost of living. Crew leaders here get $10/hr and are guaranteed 40 hrs and average 50. Crew get $7.50-8.50.

7. xclusive

xclusive LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you deserve more, but you have to remember every area has different cost of living. By me its hard to find some one with experience using equipment that is legal for less than $12/hr with no drivers license. Even people with no experience think they should get more per hour in this industry.

8. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Depends on the area. When I was in NY, a mow/trim guy was in tthe 10-12 range.

Now in TN, 7.50-8 all day long. A guy supervising 4 crews or so may get 12

9. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

yeah down south here a crew lawn person barely makes more than minimum wage which is $7.25 i think....they make about $8 per hr on average. a good job not requiring a degree around here pays in the $10-$12 range and a lucky few make $15-$18 per hr in a job not requiring a degree.

10. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

You would make $16-$22 an hour here. Bare min $800 a week on salary for those kind of hours.