What amendments should be added and should I seed now

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by telephony, Apr 23, 2008.

1. telephony

telephony LawnSite Member

Greetings,

I just had a soil test performed from several combined samples on my lot and below is the results

pH: 7.6
    P (lb/a): 69
    K (lb/a): 365
    OM%: 2.8
    bpH: 7.5
    Ca (lb/a): 7676
    Mg (lb/a): 1286
    CEC (Meq/100g): 25.0
    K%: 1.9
    Mg%: 21.4
    H (Meq/100g): 0.0
    Ca%: 76.7
    Na%: 56.1
    SO4-S (lb/a): 45.0
    Zn (lb/a): 0.7
    Mn (lb/a): 267.8
    Fe (lb/a): 288.0
    Cu (lb/a): 3.9
    B (lb/a): 1.6
    Sol Salts (mmhos/cm): 0.1

I moved into the house last year. The new home lot is two years old, about 7500 sq ft of turf and originally had sod laid. The lot is not in renovation mode, but definitely needs to have serious repair work done as the sod wasn't cared for properly.

The soil test didn't come with exact recommendation, but did come with some general guidelines. From the guidelines and what I have read on the Internet thus far, I have a basic plan I would like some feedback on.

I would begin by evenly distributing 50lbs of 90% sulfur to reduce the pH to somewhere below the 7.0 area. Then I would top dress with a ¼ to ½ inch layer of 1/3 Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss combined with 2/3 of compost <cattle/chicken manures -or- milogamite -or- cotton burrs> mixture. I am then thinking of slit seeding to both work some of the top dressing in and add Illini FS True Blue seed. Before adding the seed, I am thinking of applying 45-0-0 fast acting Urea to get the whole shebang off to a quick start.

Any suggestion or comments would greatly be appreciated.

Craig